DIY 125 Gallon Fish Aquarium Stand

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I've been an Architect for the past 3 decades and I've never heard AutoCad referred to as basic. Especially the newer version but I must say never used Revit. You have obviously used both. I was just curious. Sorry to raid the OP thread for this comment it just caught my attention.

B3803B03-797D-4C50-8731-37D575E5F566.png

This is the rendering I did in revit for our tank build.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away. Cad is very in depth but having used both for designing and floor plans, revit is so much easier.
I'm going to try the demo and see if I like it. I never have had the time to fool with the 3D but wanted to.

DannyD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was a grainy photo!

Haha, it was a pretty grainy. I didn't want to wait for the fine rendering picture because it takes forever to do. But the rendering for our house is pretty impressive. I was able to put in some of the ideas I have for some of the projects I am looking to do.

I would highly recommend playing around with revit when you can. And if you have any questions on something in it, please don't hesitate to ask. I am still learning myself but feel I am pretty advanced.

Sagefinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to tell us how many piece of each length you used?

Neil D Yanez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***DISCLAIMER*** - I am not a master craftsman, just a guy that decided to build a fish tank stand because I want to upgrade from a 55 gallon tank to a 125 gallon tank. So with that being said, here is how I built my new tank stand.

The stand will be for my 125 gallon (72''/20''/19'') and utilizing a 55 gallon for my sump/fuge.

I did a lot of research and created this basic design.

back:
design1.png

I used a mixture of 2x4 and 2x6 to give it extra strength. I know the 2x6 is overkill, but I decided to use it anyway.

The 2x6 are used for the top of the stand and are also used as support to withhold the weight of the tank.

front:
design2.png

I wanted to be able to place the 55 gallon inside and also work inside it. So I designed it to have full access in the front.

I went to a lumber store and bought all of the lumber that I would need:
wood.jpg

Here is the base once I got started:
2.jpg

I added in the 2x6's as support and braced it with some 2x4's:
3.jpg

I added on the top piece of the stand:
4.jpg

Being able to use pocket holes is a must! It definitely helped me out.
1.jpg

Here is the finished product:
7.jpg

I would not say its perfect, but I am pretty confident that it will hold up. I used 2 1/2 deck screws for all the screw work. I will use plywood and wrap it up so it looks good. But thats for another weekend. I hope that this helps someone out there.
Can I get a complete list of wood size, lengths used? How is that working out by only having the center brace pieces in the back? [email protected]

Neil D Yanez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I probably over built my stand. There isn’t one spot on my stand that is putting any weight on screws. All the weight on our stand is being transferred to the 6x6 posts at the corners.
Can you please send me your exact # of 2×4, 2×6, ((design))? I'm buying a 125 g tank and I'm using my 40 g breeder as a sump. Your design IS exactly what I've been looking for in a stand. Thank you for your consideration. [email protected]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back