DIY 2 part supplement dosing

MelvilleTheET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to dosing as I need to do it on a budget so I have looked at Randy‘s Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System.

As I am in the UK and struggling to get some of the materials Randy mentions in his article. I am looking for some advised on the substitutes I have found as I am worried in killing everything in my tank. I only have a Reef 170 but dont want to mess it up as it is doing ok at the moment.

I have found the Magnesium on this link. The same company sells the calcium chloride dihydrate and baking soda.

Has anyone used these products before? Are they safe?

Or is anyone in the UK using different products?

Thank you in advance.

alxrosco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the BRS website, they sell the 2-3 part dosing kits. You will find soda carbonate, soda bicarbonate, 2 types of magnesium, or a mix, and the calcium. Not suggesting to get it from them but you can check how to use the raw product and differences. I used these few months ago, but then I realized that to be comparable you have to add Trace Elements, and can results on an imbalance that increases salinity. They recommend to include a product from Tropic Marine, and at the end was as, or more expensive, so I just went back to ESV 2 Part dosing system.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you can get baking soda from the grocery store if so that would take care of alkalinity. For calcium it looks like the calcium chloride from that website should work. It says on the package that it is food safe so it should be fine. It's probably safer than the driveway de icer that I used to use.
I have since switched to BRS for calcium and I buy their bulk bag. I'm guessing you can't order from BRS in the UK?

I can't help with magnesium, my water changes have been able to maintain it so I've never bought anything for it.

OP
OP
MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the BRS website, they sell the 2-3 part dosing kits. You will find soda carbonate, soda bicarbonate, 2 types of magnesium, or a mix, and the calcium. Not suggesting to get it from them but you can check how to use the raw product and differences. I used these few months ago, but then I realized that to be comparable you have to add Trace Elements, and can results on an imbalance that increases salinity. They recommend to include a product from Tropic Marine, and at the end was as, or more expensive, so I just went back to ESV 2 Part dosing system.
Thank you for your reply.
That’s interesting that you found it to be about the same or more expensive. I just bought all 3 materials from the company above on Amazon and spent £20. By Randy’s recommended dosage I should have enough for at least a year. Assuming my maths are right. LOL.
Being in the UK it means I can’t get stuff from BRS but I will make comparisons and check ESV but I read that’s hard to get over here too.
Thank you.

OP
OP
MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you can get baking soda from the grocery store if so that would take care of alkalinity. For calcium it looks like the calcium chloride from that website should work. It says on the package that it is food safe so it should be fine. It's probably safer than the driveway de icer that I used to use.
I have since switched to BRS for calcium and I buy their bulk bag. I'm guessing you can't order from BRS in the UK?

I can't help with magnesium, my water changes have been able to maintain it so I've never bought anything for it.
Thank you for your reply and advice.
Nha I can’t get BRS stuff over here hence the challenge around getting the substitute materials.
The magnesium is actually the one I am not worried about as it is the same brand Randy recommends. Lol

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever you get it’s Food Grade. I used the driveway deicer it said 94% calcium on the package. Over a year my sps started to stn. I figured out the deicer had just a little copper in it. It was slowly poisoning the reef. That was in the early 2000’s. Before we knew better and had better test kits. Live and learn.

OP
OP
MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever you get it’s Food Grade. I used the driveway deicer it said 94% calcium on the package. Over a year my sps started to stn. I figured out the deicer had just a little copper in it. It was slowly poisoning the reef. That was in the early 2000’s. Before we knew better and had better test kits. Live and learn
Thank you for your advice.
Sorry to hear about that. It’s exactly issues like that that I am trying to avoid hence asking for advice. The one above is food grade and 77% so it should be ok.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the Magnesium on this link. The same company sells the calcium chloride dihydrate and baking soda.

Has anyone used these products before? Are they safe?

The magnesium looks good, and the food grade calcium chloride from the same company should be fine.

Baking soda can be bought from a grocery store, but any food grade sodium bicarbonate is fine.

OP
OP
MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnesium looks good, and the food grade calcium chloride from the same company should be fine.

Baking soda can be bought from a grocery store, but any food grade sodium bicarbonate is fine.
Great thank you. That gives me some reassurance I will not nuke the tank Lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back