DIY AIO 30 breeder frag

  • Thread starter Thread starter mckinleyw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
1,246
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 30 breeder that ive been wondering on what to do with it. It was my first ever saltwater tank and its in good condition. My first question about using this for a frag tank is that I have used copper in it within the last 6 months. Will this make it impossible to put corals into? Any suggestions?

My plan: "I don't have any real dimensions set but I can use a 1/4" poly sheet that I use at my work for boat seats to make all the walls.(same thing running in my current sump.)

fragtank1.jpg

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. and I want to run this separate from my main display.
 
So I have a 30 breeder that ive been wondering on what to do with it. It was my first ever saltwater tank and its in good condition. My first question about using this for a frag tank is that I have used copper in it within the last 6 months. Will this make it impossible to put corals into? Any suggestions?

My plan: "I don't have any real dimensions set but I can use a 1/4" poly sheet that I use at my work for boat seats to make all the walls.(same thing running in my current sump.)

fragtank1.jpg

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. and I want to run this separate from my main display.
Your best bet would be to rinse the tank out really well with RO/DI water, and fill it up, let it run for a little bit, and then test for copper. Usually copper absorbs into rock and sponges and such, I've heard of people claiming it can soak into aquarium seams, but never actually seen it.
 
So another question... I have a 6 bulb 36" aquatic life fixture would this be enough to have good coral growth?
 
So another question... I have a 6 bulb 36" aquatic life fixture would this be enough to have good coral growth?
how wide is the fixture? it should be able to sustain corals being its the same length as the tank :)
 
In my experience, if you used Seachem Cupramine Copper, you can remove the copper with curprisorb or carbon. Seachem cupramine will not absorb into silicone seams.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new