DIY AIO Reef tank - Baffle design

Soilbreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am currently building a custom tank with a false wall/back chamber. However, I'm quite unsure in terms of the baffle design and their dimensions. This is my current layout:

1656836636983.png

Do you think that baffle #3 should be lower than #2 to get a better water flow/exchange within the refugium or is the same height okay? for both Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't advise about the specific dimensions, but the general layout is fine. Some prefer the refugium before the skimmer and others after, so I don't think it really matters. You could lower the height of #3, but it will probably be fine as is. You should plan for a black sponge that you can remove as a bubble trap in either #3 or #4 to prevent anything large from getting into the return chamber.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater length... Consider the wattage you'll need and make sure they'll fit. My Jager heaters are too long for any section of my sump, so they are in my overflow. Woops.

I'd consider making it out of cardboard and make sure that your equipment fits nicely before cutting plastics. Make sure you can easily remove your stuff. My return pump *just* fits in and out of my sump due to the lip on it, though the compartment dimensions are plenty big. Almost woops.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am currently building a custom tank with a false wall/back chamber. However, I'm quite unsure in terms of the baffle design and their dimensions. This is my current layout:

1656836636983.png

Do you think that baffle #3 should be lower than #2 to get a better water flow/exchange within the refugium or is the same height okay? for both Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Pretty good start. Your design is very similar to our HushFlow system we put into our lagoons. I would suggest eliminate baffle 4, make baffle 2 adjustable height. Also, the water level in the overflow chamber will not be as high as shown. It will default to the lower level as shown in chamber 1. You should consider making the entire aio at least 5 inches wide. Below is a link to one of our our tanks with this system. All the best.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back