DIY Algae Scrubber

Carz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working this project for a few months now. I got some good advice from the people of this forum and wanted to give a report back. I made a prototype out of some foam board first and then I made a working model that I put on my tank on 11/24 for testing.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 4.56.43 PM.png

My concern was the choice of lights I got from amazon. was not sure if they would work. At $24 each I thought why not just try them. I put two of these lights on the test model and started to see growth within one week and has continued to grow ever since. I ran the lights 24/7 for the first week and then I started to run the lights for only 12 hours after that.

IMG_3926.jpeg
IMG_3957.jpeg
IMG_3969.jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 5.13.21 PM.png

After running for about 3 weeks the acrylic started to bow. The lid was pretty bad. I was going to double the acrylic on the final model but changed my mind.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 5.18.28 PM.png

So when I worked out most of the bugs I had a final model. I added a poly carbonate lid and hinges. I made 3 of them. Gave two to friends for testing. I was going to wait before I put mine in to place. My original demo was working just fine and I am basically measuring algae growth at this point.

IMG_3961.jpeg
IMG_3959.jpeg

The two I gave to friends worked well so far. No lid bowing and algae growing. But I started thinking again. I had the material and i have the laser files all made. I made a few more changes just for myself. First, I went bigger. I had 2 extra lights and with the two in the test model I decided to go with 4 lights and make the scrubber longer. I also used a black PVC vinyl with a cut out for the lights. I would stick this vinyl in place and with the help of CADD software, vinyl cutter and a laser...everything just lines up perfectly. I decided to not use the vinyl and replace that with an extra piece of 1/8" acrylic. Then I was concerned that the added length would cause the sides to bow. I added some top braces to stop that from happening. Then finally the hinges would cause my lid to hit my ATO controller so it was no hinges. I went back to the double lid, but to stop the bowing I used the poly carbonate for the inner and the black acrylic for the outside.

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 5.44.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 5.44.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 5.44.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-22 at 5.44.46 PM.png

DONE..............I hope. I plan on putting this on my system at the start of the new year.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful, thoughtful and neat. Bravo.
I have a question. The lamp is fixed close to transparent acrylic. How much is the lamp warming?
Is acrylic deformed due to temperature? The option with glass is not better?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back