DIY Lid Project

cjbrown24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this hobby is expensive, but just couldn’t bring myself to spend 300$+ on a polycarbonate lid. So I turned to my other expensive hobby, my CNC machine!

Made a channel to put some window screen spline to hold clear aquarium mesh. Just waiting for the mesh to get here tomorrow to finish putting it together.

Minus the CNC machine I’m in about 65$ for the polycarbonate sheet, 1/4 aquarium mesh, and some spline. Not too bad!

IMG_6559.jpeg

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Please don't be a bad influence and get me started on another expensive hobby?

I highly recommend using the black mesh. It has a lot less glare and is almost invisible. I usually get mine from BRS but am looking for a closer supplier.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this hobby is expensive, but just couldn’t bring myself to spend 300$+ on a polycarbonate lid. So I turned to my other expensive hobby, my CNC machine!

Made a channel to put some window screen spline to hold clear aquarium mesh. Just waiting for the mesh to get here tomorrow to finish putting it together.

Minus the CNC machine I’m in about 65$ for the polycarbonate sheet, 1/4 aquarium mesh, and some spline. Not too bad!

IMG_6559.jpeg
Close friend of mine is using his cnc router to cut mine, I designed in a feeding port for each side, Used carbide create software for mine. Since you have the CNC get creative with the designs. I had one cut out of 1/4 inch acrylic also just to see if it would hold up.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing something similar but don’t have access to a CNC after going out on my own, so I’m plotting it out full scale from CAD and cutting with handheld router.

I’d suggest accommodating for some form of access door for cleaning, especially if you plan to keep jumpers.

You can buy acrylic hinges and threaded screws from Amazon. I’d recommend drilling (or at least locating with pilot point) the screw holes for accuracy.

You should look into planning for a feeding port too. I’ve engineered around one with an integral froze food defroster:

OP
OP
C

cjbrown24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the netting put in. Measurement or something was off for the spline and didn’t want to really snap in so I encouraged it with some super glue lol. Not quite as clean looking as I wanted but gets the job done. Like you guys said in hind sight probably should have added a feed door or something but I really just wanted a simple design. It’s easy enough to just lift up the front a bit for access into the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_6560.jpeg
    IMG_6560.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 25

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back