DIY Alkalinity Monitor

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree with @BassamKassem - the most likely reason is Arduino running out of memory. Could you upload/post:
- the code that you are using (only part related to arduino Mega)
- the picture of your PCB
- the picture of your device

Apologies I was quite busy - have been struggling with my tank a bit and that kept me busy, corals are growing way too fast (aka grow like weeds)!

Thanks,

B.
Hello friends,
I'm using your standard code (latest version).
The only thing I did yesterday was change the rotary encoder, as mine burned out (go figure lol). I put a 16x2 LCD that I have here, to see if it doesn't happen again.
Or if it was some incompatibility in the i2c that was there.

Attachments

• placa.jpg
    placa.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
I'm using your standard code (latest version).
The only thing I did yesterday was change the rotary encoder, as mine burned out (go figure lol). I put a 16x2 LCD that I have here, to see if it doesn't happen again.
Or if it was some incompatibility in the i2c that was there.
I don't see capacitors on your PCB, you need 100uf capacitor for each stepper driver (they need to be rated >12v, let's say 16v or 24v). If you don't have the capacitors - spikes in current can cause other electronics to malfunction..

Could you check?

B.

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see capacitors on your PCB, you need 100uf capacitor for each stepper driver (they need to be rated >12v, let's say 16v or 24v). If you don't have the capacitors - spikes in current can cause other electronics to malfunction..

Could you check?

B.
Sorry, it didn't appear in the first photo.
They are 100uf 16v

Placa 2.jpg

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello my friends @Borat and @BassamKassem
Is everything ok there?

can you help me. I am not able to obtain satisfactory results with my tests. It's giving 1dkh difference compared to my aquaforest test.

what I have already done:
new acid 0.025 (I redid the procedure to make sure it was correct. and this one)
I recalibrated pumps.
I recalibrated the probe.
I changed the regulator from 12v to 5v thinking it was him.
I can no longer imagine what could cause this difference.
If you could shed some light on what it could be, I would appreciate it.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everything ok there?

can you help me. I am not able to obtain satisfactory results with my tests. It's giving 1dkh difference compared to my aquaforest test.

new acid 0.025 (I redid the procedure to make sure it was correct. and this one)
I recalibrated pumps.
When you calibrate the acid pump: do you use the same dosing line and dosing container? How far and what is the head (height) differential between your alk monitor and acid container?

Regards,

Borat.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t read all 34 pages. But this is amazing. Anyone building and selling these for someone whose not technical enough to make their own?

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do the calibration with equipment at the place of use. The acid container is inside the furniture where the system is located, it should be about 30cm below the monitor.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do the calibration with equipment at the place of use. The acid container is inside the furniture where the system is located, it should be about 30cm below the monitor.
..do you use 2mm ID or 4mm ID tubing from acid container to the device ?

Also, for the pump heads - do you use the supplied silicone tubing or did you replace it with santoprene/neoprene tubing?

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you calibrate the acid pump: do you use the same dosing line and dosing container? How far and what is the head (height) differential between your alk monitor and acid container?

Regards,

Borat.
I use 2 mm hose.
In the pump heads I use 2mm sore.
I will send a photo with these details.

Bazzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,

Borat.
I use 2 mm hose.
In the pump heads I use 2mm sore.
I will send a photo with these details.

raz7728

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.Great work Borat and Bazzo I am following this thread for a while and now I decided to give a try and build it.I just can’t find the BOM file , PCB and the code that you posted a while ago.
Also this build can be used for other parameters?!

Last edited:

cliffE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everything ok there?

I recalibrated pumps.

As long as the kh is consistent I don’t know that a difference from other test is a big deal. The goal for corals is to have a stable kh and be alerted to swings.

Batts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Borat, great informative thread, I am also developing a design but more like colorimetric trident style with much smaller volume sample (2ml). I am having some issues with the flow coming out of peristaltic pumps being in pulsated nature especially when it gets to micro dosing steps, was this an issue for you at all or it became negligible because you are working with much higher volume?

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Borat, great informative thread, I am also developing a design but more like colorimetric trident style with much smaller volume sample (2ml). I am having some issues with the flow coming out of peristaltic pumps being in pulsated nature especially when it gets to micro dosing steps, was this an issue for you at all or it became negligible because you are working with much higher volume?
I guess that is indded the case - the volume of acid I dose is pretty significant.

I think to increase precision you would need to use small diameter tubing (for peristalitc head only!) and run the head very slowly, the smallest I used in the past was 1mm tubing - and the dosing amounts were very precise. Additionally I would use thicker/harder tubing to connect peristaltic pump head to your dosing outlet.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back