DIY Alkalinity Monitor

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Mr. @Borat for your continuous help and support :) .

I managed to order adafruit RE board despite the cost of shipping and customs . it worth the try anyways :)

Regarding the waste water in the reaction chamber in your design is it being dumped back to the tank or not

Also 0.1N HCL acid preparation , are you making it yourself or buying it ,

Can you please explain these two inquiries

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Mr. @Borat for your continuous help and support :) .

I managed to order adafruit RE board despite the cost of shipping and customs . it worth the try anyways :)

Regarding the waste water in the reaction chamber in your design is it being dumped back to the tank or not

Also 0.1N HCL acid preparation , are you making it yourself or buying it ,

Can you please explain these two inquiries
The waste water is returned back to the tank, it is harmless - basically you are adding 0 alkalinity water in small amounts. you can return it to a sparate container - if you want.

I buy 1.0N acid and dilute 9:1 using RO water to get 0.1N.

1.0N hydrochloric acid is not very strong - around the strength of lemon juice, so it's not like a big danger when you are handling it ..

cronys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Доброе время суток. Пыталась написать Вам в сообщение, но не нашла как это сделать :). Изучив ваш опыт, тоже захотелось сделать себе прибор для измерения щелочности. С Ардуино пока не знаком, начал изучать. Нахожусь недалеко от Кахахстана) Хотел бы у вас спросить совета, если не сложно. Для того, чтобы узнать, что можно сделать для этого проекта в плане наличия в Астане, Алиэкспресс или Москве. Если не возражаете, как с вами связаться?

translation:
Good time of the day. I tried to send you a message, but didn't find how to do it :). After studying your experience, I also wanted to make myself a device for measuring alkalinity. I am not familiar with Arduino yet, I began to study. I am not far from Kazakhstan) I would like to ask you for advice, if not difficult. To find out what can be done for this project in terms of availability in Astana, Aliexpress or Moscow. If you don't mind, how can I contact you?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Доброе время суток. Пыталась написать Вам в сообщение, но не нашла как это сделать :). Изучив ваш опыт, тоже захотелось сделать себе прибор для измерения щелочности. С Ардуино пока не знаком, начал изучать. Нахожусь недалеко от Кахахстана) Хотел бы у вас спросить совета, если не сложно. Для того, чтобы узнать, что можно сделать для этого проекта в плане наличия в Астане, Алиэкспресс или Москве. Если не возражаете, как с вами связаться?

translation:
Good time of the day. I tried to send you a message, but didn't find how to do it :). After studying your experience, I also wanted to make myself a device for measuring alkalinity. I am not familiar with Arduino yet, I began to study. I am not far from Kazakhstan) I would like to ask you for advice, if not difficult. To find out what can be done for this project in terms of availability in Astana, Aliexpress or Moscow. If you don't mind, how can I contact you?
You can post your questions either here or via messaging?
I haven't visited the glorious nation of Kazakistan in many years - I live in UK. However most Chinese replica components can be sourced from AliExpress as I can see (maybe not the quality ones but OK)..

cronys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't visited the glorious nation of Kazakistan in many years - I live in UK. However most Chinese replica components can be sourced from AliExpress as I can see (maybe not the quality ones but OK)..
ok. only I never figured out how to write private messages :(

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK PCB connectors have been soldered... I need to run some tests to check that there are no loose connections, I shall do that tomorrow.

Electronics parts fr this project will be follows:
- RS PRO PCB Mount Switching Regulator, 5V dc Output Voltage, 8 → 36V dc Input Voltage, 1A Output Current
- 3x TMC 2209 stepper motor drivers + 3x 100uf 15v capacitors
- Adafruit 4-channel Bi-directional Logic Level Converter
- Arduino Mega 2560 Mini
- ESP32 Dev
- DF Robot SEN 0161 PH board v1.2
- 2x DC sealed sleeve axial fan 40x10mm 12Vdc (one for stirrer and another fan for providing ventilation to the enclosure)
- Relay Module DC 5V with Optocoupler
- Seamuing 2pcs I2C OLED Display Module I2C Screen
- DS3231 RTC clock
- 5 pin Rotary Encoder + Adafruit QT Rotary Encoder I2C breakout board

20220911_201910.jpg
Hello again @Borat . I have another silly question. Should i only use

Adafruit 4-channel I2C-safe Bi-directional Logic Level Converter - BSS138​

Or any other 4-channel bi-directional logic level converter would work like the o e attached . I mean with your code

Screenshot_20230324-125959_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again @Borat . I have another silly question. Should i only use

Adafruit 4-channel I2C-safe Bi-directional Logic Level Converter - BSS138​

Or any other 4-channel bi-directional logic level converter would work like the o e attached . I mean with your code

Screenshot_20230324-125959_Gallery.jpg
This depends on the pin layout and importantly the order of pins - are you using the PCB that I attached to this thread?

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chip has GND pin placed in the middle, the PCB assumes that GND pin is at the opposite end of HV (high voltage = 5v) and LV pins (low voltage = 3.3v) - so the short answer is that this one won't work. You should look for another one that has HV / GND and LV /GND on opposite ends of the chip (i.e. first pin and last pin respectively).

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally they should all work the same (irrespective of the brand), just the pin order and number of pins needs to match.

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally they should all work the same (irrespective of the brand), just the pin order and number of pins needs to match.
I ordered adafruit LLC but for my info no software related issues will occur if i found a matching pins bi directional LLC. Right

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok progress so far thanks goes to you @Borat

- PCB modified and added 4th pump to dose KH. PCB is under fabrication process
- All components ordered "exactly as recommended from your side , some have delivered and some still not due to international shipping"

- I will prepare the codes to handle the 4th pump still in progress
- I will add below logic to compensate consumed DKH based on the testing results

////////////////
> Sub menu in the OLED display to be added to include ("SystemVolume", "NeededKH_For100MLWater" , "RequiredDKH")
> if dkh < rquired_DKH then doseKH, else do nothing

> Function doseKH
> 0.1DKH_Per_SystemVolume = (SystemVolume / 100) X KH_Sol_Per100ML
> Missing DKH = NeededDKH - CurrentDKH
> KH_To_Dose = (Missing DKH / 0.1 ) X 0.1DKH_Per_SystemVolume

If all worked as panned hopefully , using your help of course if am not asking too much :)

Will create a mobile app to handle the device by connecting to its "ESP" controller

App shall have below functions within so user can interact with the device
1- PH calibration
2- Pumps settings (Priming , Calibration, Speed)
3- Testing schedule
4- HCL container settings
5- KH Solution container settings
6- App shall log and keep PH & KH results to be retrieved any time by the user in addition to the consumed KH

once all done I will share all here , mobile app SDK and modified PCB

Attachments

• KHMonWithDoser.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 77
  • KHMonWithDoser.zip
    137.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok progress so far thanks goes to you @Borat

- PCB modified and added 4th pump to dose KH. PCB is under fabrication process
- All components ordered "exactly as recommended from your side , some have delivered and some still not due to international shipping"

- I will prepare the codes to handle the 4th pump still in progress
- I will add below logic to compensate consumed DKH based on the testing results

////////////////
> Sub menu in the OLED display to be added to include ("SystemVolume", "NeededKH_For100MLWater" , "RequiredDKH")
> if dkh < rquired_DKH then doseKH, else do nothing

> Function doseKH
> 0.1DKH_Per_SystemVolume = (SystemVolume / 100) X KH_Sol_Per100ML
> Missing DKH = NeededDKH - CurrentDKH
> KH_To_Dose = (Missing DKH / 0.1 ) X 0.1DKH_Per_SystemVolume

If all worked as panned hopefully , using your help of course if am not asking too much :)

Will create a mobile app to handle the device by connecting to its "ESP" controller

App shall have below functions within so user can interact with the device
1- PH calibration
2- Pumps settings (Priming , Calibration, Speed)
3- Testing schedule
4- HCL container settings
5- KH Solution container settings
6- App shall log and keep PH & KH results to be retrieved any time by the user in addition to the consumed KH

once all done I will share all here , mobile app SDK and modified some of the components delivered today

Attachments

• 20230325_114552.jpg
    20230325_114552.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230325_120242.jpg
    20230325_120242.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230325_120245.jpg
    20230325_120245.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230325_121254.jpg
    20230325_121254.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230325_121657.jpg
    20230325_121657.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 53

cronys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, I re-read the topic several times and seemed to take everything into account. Please, if it's not difficult, can you check whether I have chosen everything correctly for this? To less rewrite the code, I'm not very good at it yet :(
The question is whether it is possible to replace the pumps for draining and filling the chamber with cheap ones? such https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050015....productlist.search_results.18.712f4aa6iG2zGj

the rest i found

RS PRO PCB Mount Switching Regulator, 5V dc Output Voltage, 8 → 36V dc Input Voltage, 1A Output Current - I did not understand what it is and did not find it

Stepper Motors

3x TMC 2209 stepper motor drivers

Adafruit 4-channel Bi-directional Logic Level Converter

Arduino Mega 2560 Mini

ESP32 Dev

DF Robot SEN 0161 PH board v1.2
v2 only

fan 40x10mm

Relay Module DC 5V with Optocoupler

Seamuing 2pcs I2C OLED Display Module I2C Screen

DS3231 RTC clock

5 pin Rotary Encoder + Adafruit QT Rotary Encoder I2C breakout board
analogue only

I hope I didn't forget anything

Last edited:

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, I re-read the topic several times and seemed to take everything into account. Please, if it's not difficult, can you check whether I have chosen everything correctly for this? To less rewrite the code, I'm not very good at it yet :(
The question is whether it is possible to replace the pumps for draining and filling the chamber with cheap ones? such https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050015....productlist.search_results.18.712f4aa6iG2zGj

the rest i found

RS PRO PCB Mount Switching Regulator, 5V dc Output Voltage, 8 → 36V dc Input Voltage, 1A Output Current - I did not understand what it is and did not find it

Stepper Motors

3x TMC 2209 stepper motor drivers

Adafruit 4-channel Bi-directional Logic Level Converter

Arduino Mega 2560 Mini

ESP32 Dev

DF Robot SEN 0161 PH board v1.2
v2 only

fan 40x10mm

Relay Module DC 5V with Optocoupler

Seamuing 2pcs I2C OLED Display Module I2C Screen

DS3231 RTC clock

5 pin Rotary Encoder + Adafruit QT Rotary Encoder I2C breakout board
analogue only

I hope I didn't forget anything
Adafruit encoder I2C breakout board can be found here

As for the rotary encoder button from here

PH board and sensor V1.1

RS PRO PCB Mount Switching Regulator, 5V dc Output Voltage, 8 → 36V dc Input Voltage, 1A Output Current form here / But it will be great to find substitute for it as it will take forever for this to be shipped to me

Make sure to add the Capacitors

Also motors prestetic heads they are plenty on Ali Exp

There are some JST connections and Pin headers and wires will be needed as well

BassamKassem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Connected 3 motors, LCD screen, rotary encoder and RTC clock - so far everything works as designed.. Tomorrow I can test PH probe - this should be no problem and very straightforward.

I need to wire both fans - one of the fans will be always on and another (stirrer) will be connected via relay...

20220912_190912.jpg
Hello Mr. @Borat again I know am asking too many questions , please bear with me :grimacing-face:

Can you please point each wire from my motor to its relevant driver pin

Black wire = 1B
Green = 1A
Red = 2A
Blue = 2B

is this correct . TIA

Attachments

• 20230327_041303.jpg
    20230327_041303.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 56

cronys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
а в какой программе была спроектирована плата?

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Borat Appreciate your help
There is no easy way to tell (just because some of those Chinese shops connect wires in a funny way).. You should try RED M1B
BLUE M1A
GREEN M2A
BLACK M2B

If it does not work - you need to try another combination.. The motor should not suffer is you wire it wrong, it just either won't move or move erratically if connected incorrectly..

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back