DIY Alkalinity

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody!

Looking for some help making my own Alkalinity solution. I am currently using RedSea Alkalinity Part B which raises 0.1 dKH when adding 1ml to 100L of aquarium water. I have a big bag of Sodium carbonate here (Food grade) ready to go but have no idea how much to add to a litre of water to mimic the RedSea one. Does anybody have any help they can throw my way? Ideally in metric and not cups if possible.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.1 gram of Sodium Carbonate per 100L would increase 0.1dKH.
That means a 100 grams per Liter solution would result in the same concentration as Red Sea’s.

You can also use this calculator here to compare between different solutions, commercial and DIY recipes.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.1 gram of Sodium Carbonate per 100L would increase 0.1dKH.
That means a 100 grams per Liter solution would result in the same concentration as Red Sea’s.

You can also use this calculator here to compare between different solutions, commercial and DIY recipes.
Wow as simple as that? That's amazing thank you so much! 100 grams of Sodium Carbonate dissolved in 1 Litre of RO water?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow as simple as that? That's amazing thank you so much! 100 grams of Sodium Carbonate dissolved in 1 Litre of RO water?
If only more people were aware how simple it is, maybe shiny bottles with a reefing brand sticker on them would’ve been more sane in price haha

And yes - mix it with RO/DI.

If you’re already dosing high amounts daily, you could also double it for a higher concentration to make your solution last longer.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only more people were aware how simple it is, maybe shiny bottles with a reefing brand sticker on them would’ve been more sane in price haha

And yes - mix it with RO/DI.

If you’re already dosing high amounts daily, you could also double it for a higher concentration to make your solution last longer.
I really wish this was more openly known. The difference in cost is going to be HUGE. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from red sea alk to brs soda ash and the dosing and ph remained about the same. Tried bicarbonate first because I didn't know which one red sea was. So carbonate/soda ash is the right move...381 grams per gallon of solution. It wasn't exactly the same but close so obviously test.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That material looks to be ok. Food grade is generally a good choice and the skews on that material, food grade or not, seem good.
It has mixed quite nicely and is only very slightly off-colour compared to the RedSea one. A very slight yellowing. This is 5L of it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has mixed quite nicely and is only very slightly off-colour compared to the RedSea one. A very slight yellowing. This is 5L of it

Sounds fine. Traces of color often do not say much about purity and suitability because a little iron can impart substantial color.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back