Diy alkalinity

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there, I've just made up a batch of 2 part alkalinity via your instructions but the solution is not completely clear is this normal? Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there, I've just made up a batch of 2 part alkalinity via your instructions but the solution is not completely clear is this normal? Thank you

Which part is not clear?

What exactly did you use?

OP
OP
Cryptocaryon

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is appears to be milky clouds in ot that hang suspended. I did the baking method, should I heat the solution more to further dissolve it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is appears to be milky clouds in ot that hang suspended. I did the baking method, should I heat the solution more to further dissolve it.

You used Arm and Hammer baking soda?

Maybe you did not bake it enough, but warming the solution will help it dissolve.

OP
OP
Cryptocaryon

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used Arm and Hammer baking soda?

Maybe you did not bake it enough, but warming the solution will help it dissolve.
I also baked it at 250c not 300f, it was slightly brown on the surface so I don't know if this we effect it? The resulting liquid does have a brown tinge and still is a bit frothy so could even be impurities in the sodium bicarb?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also baked it at 250c not 300f, it was slightly brown on the surface so I don't know if this we effect it? The resulting liquid does have a brown tinge and still is a bit frothy so could even be impurities in the sodium bicarb?

Might be impure. Might just not be baked enough. You could try boiling it.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've baked a lot of sodium bicarb in my day....some for tanks, and lately for my uncle's inground pool while h';s in the hospital and I'm taking care of it. Sodium carbonate also does the trick for pools to get pH and alk up, except you use pounds of it, and you bake it the same way.

I've never seen food grade baking soda turn brown when baked. This has to be a contaminate or perhaps anti coagulant agent. Beg to differ with Randy, but is it really worth risking?

OP
OP
Cryptocaryon

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've baked a lot of sodium bicarb in my day....some for tanks, and lately for my uncle's inground pool while h';s in the hospital and I'm taking care of it. Sodium carbonate also does the trick for pools to get pH and alk up, except you use pounds of it, and you bake it the same way.

I've never seen food grade baking soda turn brown when baked. This has to be a contaminate or perhaps anti coagulant agent. Beg to differ with Randy, but is it really worth risking?
I didn't risk it in the end.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back