DIY All for Reef

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ask here. I'm not sure how it would be best. Off the top of my head, I'd think maybe it would need an additive... But also maybe it's concentrated enough that nothing can live in it anyway. Not sure

U

User1

View Badges
As @Phildago suggested head over to the DIY thread. It is a great source. Having just ordered the stuff to make my own it is of my opinion that it isn't going to go bad. Similar to 2 part say from ESV or using BRS products. The beauty of the DIY recipe is that it lets you make a larger batch size than what is sold at and affordable price. Honestly speaking I don't see any reason for this to go bad and would wager it will be consumed before it is even an issue.

Unless you are making a 5 gallon bucket but at that point I'd almost think there are better solutions. It really is for smaller tanks but the DIY recipe is giving a lot of us with 200 - 300 gallon mixed reefs strong considering for use.

OP
OP
S

Spacedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your responses. Maybe it would be better to stick to smaller quantities.

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for your responses. Maybe it would be better to stick to smaller quantities.

I wouldn't over think it much. If you haven't check out the thread - there is a video. 2000ml less than 60 bucks. His list:

Step 1: Gather Materials
-CarboCalcium Powder https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/carbo-calcium-powder-calcium…
-Bio-Magnesium https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bio-magnesium-tropic-marin.h…
-Trace A- https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pro-coral-a-trace-1-tropic-m…
-Trace K+ https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pro-coral-k-trace-2-tropic-m…
-100 ml Measuring Cup
-Kitchen Scale
-Magnetic Stirrer (Recommended, but not required)
Step 2: Measure out 750 ml RODI water.
-Room temp water ok, but warm water will help dissolve the powder.
Step 3: Slowly add 140g CarboCalcium powder, stir.
Step 4: Add 12g Bio-Magnesium powder, stir.
Step 5: Add 100 ml Pro-Trace A-
Step 6: Add 100 ml Pro-Trace K+
Step 7: Stir. It can take some time for the solution to be clear. Estimate ~20 mins. Solution will be a tint of blue, this is normal.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how long DIY All for Reef can be stored?

In my case not long. I had it for a few weeks and you could start noticing some white stuff growing in it. Now another month later, its all white stuff in it.
So I think it is very prune to contamination so if you use old dosing lines and container (even though you cleaned it a lot before using it for dosing CarboCalcium/AllForReef), you most probably have issues after a few weeks/months in the container.

If you place it in a container where you cannot see the content, you will most likely not notice the contamination but when placing it in a clear plexi container, its easy to see the stuff growing in it.

U

User1

View Badges
In my case not long. I had it for a few weeks and you could start noticing some white stuff growing in it. Now another month later, its all white stuff in it.
So I think it is very prune to contamination so if you use old dosing lines and container (even though you cleaned it a lot before using it for dosing CarboCalcium/AllForReef), you most probably have issues after a few weeks/months in the container.

If you place it in a container where you cannot see the content, you will most likely not notice the contamination but when placing it in a clear plexi container, its easy to see the stuff growing in it.

I made 2 batches. Half way through my first now. I see a little bit of sediment but nothing really growing. Both of mine are in the larger Voss 800 ML glass water bottles. Only thing I'm seeing is that my ALK reading varies by the day between 8.4 at 0600, 8.35 at 1200 noon, 8.31 at 1800, and 8.2 at midnight. I have the Trident setup to test 4/2/2.

I didn't see this when dosing ESV 2 part. It was more stable throughout they day. I am dosing 42 ml of the all for reef DIY in my 210 gallon mixed over 24 hours. I still need to supplement about 8 to 12 ml of ALK a day to keep it at the current ALK range I want. Hoping to stop that here but this is so far after only 2 weeks of DIY AFR usage.

I like the stuff - just need to try and get my alk reading a bit more level.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder, the fungus that grows after creating the DIY All for Reef solution. Could this be prevented by boiling the solution for some time to sterilize everything?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix up 3gal at a time and dose it. It currently takes 5 months before needing a new batch

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back