DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems

I used to get RTN when dosing nitrate. I tried switching from Sodium to Potassium Nitrate (USP) and then to AF N Boost with no success.

So far ammonia dosing has helped tremendously. I did loose a red dragon but it was due to a dino outbreak. I've been dosing 0.2ppm, which is enough to keep my nitrates at 2.5-5ppm and my PO4 at 0.03.
Good to hear!! I'd love to be able to increase N availability in my system but every time I add nitrates I get RTN! I'll give ammonia a shot.
 
My ammonium chloride 99.9% pure has clumps. Are the clumps still good to use to make a stock solution or should I use the unclumped portion?

I want to know if moisture causes the ammonium to evaporate?

image.jpg
image.jpg
 
I dont know if moisture causes clumping, but it would not surprise me if it did.

I would recommend good grade materials.
 
Isn’t 99.9% a good grade?

Eh, I decided I’d rather use ammonium bicarbonate. I just ordered this food grade with no purity rating. I think it’s good.

https://a.co/d/eNTTzgC

it may be fine. The problem is not knowing what the impurities are. Food grade checks metal impurities such as lead.
 
it may be fine. The problem is not knowing what the impurities are. Food grade checks metal impurities such as lead.
Thank you.

Do you know the difference between ammonium vs amino acid dosing? What does amino acids accomplish that ammonia can’t and vice versa?

Are there benefits of amino acids beyond a nitrogen source?
 
Thank you.

Do you know the difference between ammonium vs amino acid dosing? What does amino acids accomplish that ammonia can’t and vice versa?

Are there benefits of amino acids beyond a nitrogen source?
If you read the first 10 pages or so, there's discussion around the possible benefits of ammonium dosing. If the ammonia is available to the coral it's easier for the coral to use the ammonia for energy. The unknown is if it's converted to nitrate before it's available to the coral, if it is, the coral just uses the nitrate. I think that's all there is to it.
 
Thank you.

Do you know the difference between ammonium vs amino acid dosing? What does amino acids accomplish that ammonia can’t and vice versa?

Are there benefits of amino acids beyond a nitrogen source?

Amino acids may drive some extra bacterial growth that ammonia does not, since it provides organic carbon.

I have see no clear evidence relating to the pros and cans of each.
 
Amino acids may drive some extra bacterial growth that ammonia does not, since it provides organic carbon.

I have see no clear evidence relating to the pros and cans of each.

I vaguely recall some literature indicating that ammonia uptake will cause a coral preference for uptake of ammonia and not amino acids, though in my coral tanks I dose both ammonia and amino acids on a schedule.

Since switching from nitrate to ammonium I've noticed that the previously high levels of dosing aminos now cause nuisance algae and bacterial growth on the glass, and so I now dose less.
 
Can I mix vinegar with the ammonium bicarbonate solution? I manually dose both at the same time and I want to know if I can use the same beaker to measure both of the volumes to hand dose.
 
Can I mix vinegar with the ammonium bicarbonate solution? I manually dose both at the same time and I want to know if I can use the same beaker to measure both of the volumes to hand dose.
Mixing them will bubble off CO2 and effectively make ammonium acetate, which is fine and will work the same.
 
does this have the same risk of off-gassing the ammonia?

No, the acid tends to keep it as NH4+ and reduces the off gassing.
 
Not sure if mentioned already but there's a good discussion on ammonia dosing on the reefbum podcast. They were looking at aquabiomics mapping of bacterial diversity and abundance pre and post ammonia dosing with no real change in nitrying bacteria abundance. They did mention increased coral growth noted from increased supplement uptake and observations.

I've just switched from nitrate to ammonia dosing and am interested to see if there are any changes
 
After a few weeks I’m up to dosing 40ml in a 245g. I’ve had this pink caddy that’s been hanging on after surviving aefw’s. I’m starting to see some polyp extension and it’s starting to color up and really grow! NO3 hangs around 20ppm
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4268.png
    IMG_4268.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4259.jpeg
    IMG_4259.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 83
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley ,
would it be ok to mix Ammonia Bicarbonate with the Sodium Carbonate solution to save a dosing pump?

What if the Sodium Carbonate also contains some minor amounts of Potassium Iodide and Sodium Fluoride?

On a related token, I've created a Google spreadsheet to calculate dosage and concentration:
Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 10.44.25 am.png
Thanks
 
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley ,
would it be ok to mix Ammonia Bicarbonate with the Sodium Carbonate solution to save a dosing pump?

What if the Sodium Carbonate also contains some minor amounts of Potassium Iodide and Sodium Fluoride?

On a related token, I've created a Google spreadsheet to calculate dosage and concentration:
Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 10.44.25 am.png
Thanks

That will be OK, but keep is nearly sealed as it is high pH and ammonia will leave it to the air.
 
Is there any way to estimate how much of the Ammonium Bicarbonate can be safely added over time to avoid a buildup? I understand ammonia tests don't accurately go this low, but if corals are quickly pulling the ammonium from the water, then dosing frequently enough to keep the tank level at 0.1ppm would conceivably maximize the value of the dosing.

Also, should dosing only be done when the lights are on or is dosing over 24 hours preferred. I only have softies and some LPS.
 
Is there any way to estimate how much of the Ammonium Bicarbonate can be safely added over time to avoid a buildup? I understand ammonia tests don't accurately go this low, but if corals are quickly pulling the ammonium from the water, then dosing frequently enough to keep the tank level at 0.1ppm would conceivably maximize the value of the dosing.

Also, should dosing only be done when the lights are on or is dosing over 24 hours preferred. I only have softies and some LPS.

I don’t see a reason to think there will be buildup. I think if you tried to keep ammonia at 0.1 ppm, nitrate will be rising rapidly.

I’m not sure what time of day is best, or if it matters.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new