DIY ATO using Pressure

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing fresh top off water by dripping it into the tank once a day. I aim for 35ppt and it never goes above 35.6ppt using the drip method. I was wanting to update it with using pressure. This is what I’m talking about. Ive tried it but it’s not working. Everything is air tight. Don’t know if I’m missing something.

92FB9C40-E334-489B-B477-5440D2E43EA0.jpeg

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting idea in theory, but I don’t think that it can work in practice. Air and water compress at different rates, so as the tank fills with air the air will be able to expand more than the water that it replaced can and you will be ‘dosing’ more water when the tank has a lower water level than when the tank is full of water.

I am using a gravity fed system for my ATO. I have a reservoir mounted higher than my sump (it’s actually in my garage) and I have a line fed from there to my sump connected to a float valve. I also have an added safety of a solenoid and a float switch controlled by my apex.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting idea in theory, but I don’t think that it can work in practice. Air and water compress at different rates, so as the tank fills with air the air will be able to expand more than the water that it replaced can and you will be ‘dosing’ more water when the tank has a lower water level than when the tank is full of water.

I am using a gravity fed system for my ATO. I have a reservoir mounted higher than my sump (it’s actually in my garage) and I have a line fed from there to my sump connected to a float valve. I also have an added safety of a solenoid and a float switch controlled by my apex.
It will and does work, it's physics in action. You just need things properly sealed and lines that are appropriately sized.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried it before. It worked intermittently, but on the whole I found it just was too finicky. Once the water reservoir got below a certain level it just stopped working. As the pressure within the container increases, the water can absorb more air, and eventually you get a situation where it's easier for the pressure to relieve itself by air backflowing through the airline than it is for the water to flow out of the dripline.

With a more powerful air pump and better seals, it probably would have worked better, but there's a reason that none of the commercial ATO solutions use pressure instead of water pumps.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will and does work, it's physics in action. You just need things properly sealed and lines that are appropriately sized.

I think it will work, in that it will dose some water each time air is allowed to enter the tube, but I don’t believe that it will dose the same amount of water each time when the reservoir is 90% full, compared to 10% full. I guess how much of a difference it will be depends on the size of the reservoir, and frankly small differences will probably be pretty negligible compared to the amount of saltwater in the system.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was putting in a new circuit for the reef tank but I had to put it on hold. So those wires aren’t hooked up to the new circuit.
Still waiting on the answer to part one of my post...

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it is not, in fact, sealed then. Those "pasta" containers are not always airtight. Try using electrical tape on the seam and silicone grease at all the connections and test again. Additionally, you may need to change the tubing size.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back