DIY Automatic Filter

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure that all the problems some builds are seeing are from badly designed drip plates- the holes are too big. Holes should be ~1/4" and closely spaced. That and I'm not sure filter paper is as good an option as it seems. And maybe not designing in an overflow.

I have had a diy rollermat up and running for nearly 2 years with only 3 problems total- dc plug corroded in salt environment and now is finicky being plugged back in; silicon for uptake spool had to be replaced with epoxy; one of the pvc guides broke loose from silicon- the acrylic seems to stay put better. I am going to have to sew up a new filter roll though, mine is looking pretty tatty.

OP
OP
S

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting the original post bought and is useing the store bought one
I had the original Theiling before being inspired by DBR_Reef to DIY. I like to tinker and also thought that the Theiling is too much money for what it does. I still have the DIY, but I am just not using it

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. this thing is amazing.

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build, great idea to get costs down from original. You say maybe the media is not as good as you thought. Have you ever considered using rotifer cloth on long loop and possibly a rinsing chamber mechanism? I have this cloth thats about 1/4 inch thick and 10 " wide. I got it from Florida aquaculture for rots. I believe they sell.it any size and it rinses with spraying and no rubbing to almost like new I reuse it dozens of times and it holds up pretty good little stretch over time but good stuff. It's easier to clean than the thick 1" white rot filter that you get from ur lfs on big rolls for generic filter pad and tank cleaning.

islandbreeze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering building the same as I only designed 3 socks for a 250 gal setup. Was thinking of adding on a side chamber for a row of 4-6 more socks but this is inspiring to consider. I saw the theiling unit did I spell.that right? But maintenance for costly rolls, I've been waiting to see someone's new ideas. Great job, keep tweeking!

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build, great idea to get costs down from original. You say maybe the media is not as good as you thought. Have you ever considered using rotifer cloth on long loop and possibly a rinsing chamber mechanism? I have this cloth thats about 1/4 inch thick and 10 " wide. I got it from Florida aquaculture for rots. I believe they sell.it any size and it rinses with spraying and no rubbing to almost like new I reuse it dozens of times and it holds up pretty good little stretch over time but good stuff. It's easier to clean than the thick 1" white rot filter that you get from ur lfs on big rolls for generic filter pad and tank cleaning.

For me the batting worked fine- I have not tried the coolant filter paper

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping for more discussion

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone exsplain how to wire the float switch, motor and power source? Its the only thing preventing me from doing it.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone exsplain how to wire the float switch, motor and power source? Its the only thing preventing me from doing it.

The float switch would be inline to the power supply. +V Power Supply-> switch -> + Motor | -Motor -> -V Power Supply.

Depending on the switch you use (normally open / normally closed), you will need to mount it so that the water level closes it, and energizes the motor.

Dennis

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float switch would be inline to the power supply. +V Power Supply-> switch -> + Motor | -Motor -> -V Power Supply.

Depending on the switch you use (normally open / normally closed), you will need to mount it so that the water level closes it, and energizes the motor.

Dennis

Nothing like a reservoir and a float valve. Go gravity!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2146e9675919932316d935b7ac2979d2.jpg

I just follwed this. Is it correct? It seems to be working. Where panel is the power supply, and pump is the motor. Also there is no nuetral wire so its skipped.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great thread working on mine still.. long story.. but almost there.. i will post pics when done.. credits to
DBR_Reef for all his help.. thanks man...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back