Been working on a fun little project the past week! I made a DIY automatic shaker for my Hanna cuvettes.
The problem:
The vigorous 120s of shaking for the NO3 test, and the gentler 120s for the PO4 test, were getting annoying with how often I'm testing right now.
Repeatability was bugging me too. I was getting inconsistent NO3 and PO4 results, probably from being lazy and not setting a timer or not shaking hard enough. Just seems like doing it by hand leaves a lot of room for variation. And PO4 will read high if air bubbles get in the sample from shaking too hard.
The solution:
Super simple operation, two buttons. One for PO4 and one for NO3. It shakes the cuvette for 120s, then stops and beeps.
PO4 mode does 180 degree inversions with a delay in between so the sample can mix like the instructions say. NO3 mode is constant and vigorous.
The problem:
The vigorous 120s of shaking for the NO3 test, and the gentler 120s for the PO4 test, were getting annoying with how often I'm testing right now.
Repeatability was bugging me too. I was getting inconsistent NO3 and PO4 results, probably from being lazy and not setting a timer or not shaking hard enough. Just seems like doing it by hand leaves a lot of room for variation. And PO4 will read high if air bubbles get in the sample from shaking too hard.
The solution:
Super simple operation, two buttons. One for PO4 and one for NO3. It shakes the cuvette for 120s, then stops and beeps.
PO4 mode does 180 degree inversions with a delay in between so the sample can mix like the instructions say. NO3 mode is constant and vigorous.

