Hanna Checker Cuvette Mixer

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers,

I wanted to share a cuvette mixer I made to mix the dry Hanna Checker reagents. I use this for the phosphate checker (2 min mix time), and the Calcium checker (15s mix).

It runs off of 2 AA batteries, there is a voltage boost board to get the ~3V battery voltage up to the operating range of an Arduino nano. The nano is connected to a micro-servo which rotates the cuvette back and forth 180 degrees before stopping after 2 mins. Spend more time reefing and less time mixing!

IMG_0981.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0984.mov
    13.1 MB

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers,

I wanted to share a cuvette mixer I made to mix the dry Hanna Checker reagents. I use this for the phosphate checker (2 min mix time), and the Calcium checker (15s mix).

It runs off of 2 AA batteries, there is a voltage boost board to get the ~3V battery voltage up to the operating range of an Arduino nano. The nano is connected to a micro-servo which rotates the cuvette back and forth 180 degrees before stopping after 2 mins. Spend more time reefing and less time mixing!

IMG_0981.jpg

I won't be the first to say it, but shows us the insides :-D

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the drying rack and holding containers you made in the background of the video posted. Figuring you made them yourself, do you sell any?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers,

IMG_0981.jpg
So I want one! Or teach us how to make it?

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all, yes the drying rack and the organizer trays are 3D printed, i designed them and printed on my Prusa Mk3. I wanted something that was low profile so i could fit in a drawer, i added the text on the top printed in a second color just for better visibility. I've still got to make a tray for my PH checker and Nitrate checker which should be on the way soon. I went back and forth with whether or not to put them all on 1 tray or individuals, ultimately went individual just so if it only wanted to run a particular test it would be easier to get out and put away.

I have not sold any although i could, send me a message and we can work something out. Also happy to teach you how to make them if you'd like. 3D printer is a great addition to this hobby!
IMG-0991.jpg

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I have been checking out 3D printers and things to make. I like what you have done here, and I have some of the Hanna equipment ordered. The Prusa is one of the printers I am interested in. If you don’t mind I may have some questions for you

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics of the inside. The wire lengths are close but could certainly use some adjustment to clean it up a little.
IMG-0985.jpg
IMG-0989.jpg

That’s super clever - hadn’t thought to use one of those micro servos for something like this. Good quality 3D print too!

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I have been checking out 3D printers and things to make. I like what you have done here, and I have some of the Hanna equipment ordered. The Prusa is one of the printers I am interested in. If you don’t mind I may have some questions for you

Absolutely don't mind, happy to talk 3D printers anytime. Somebody was asking about printers last week and i shared some of my thoughts, link to that here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/3d-printer.760369/post-8002933

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happen to share gcode or the stl?
this is amazing looking. Better than the one I use from the looks

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happen to share gcode or the stl?
this is amazing looking. Better than the one I use from the looks

I'm assuming you mean the cuvette rack, but if not let me know and i can post others. Here is an STL for the rack, let me know how it works out for you or if you've got any questions!

Attachments

• Hanna Cuvette Rack.zip
    370.5 KB · Views: 111

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the cuvette stl.
Are you going to share the other device and holders? This really has me looking at my small trays, looking at those that you made, they just look beefier. And we have the same checkers, I have PH, Alk, PO4, and Calcium. The Nitrate is ordered and back stocked from Hanna. I was only 40 minutes later after their announcement of availability, so hoping they restock quickly.

Since you seem to have the same mindset as I do, I highly recommend this:

Super precise for the 20 or so tests I have run. Before this I used the plunger type that are everywhere. This helps to get the meniscus to the perfect spot, and repeatable!

gregor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers,

IMG_0981.jpg

Good afternoon.
You can ask you for stl files for making a mixer. Code file for UNO. And an assembly diagram of electrical components.
I liked the idea very much, I want to do the same for myself.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%

Back