OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put together some details for the design on the cuvette mixer, should have some time later this week to do that. I figured with all the interest in the trays i'll make a new post for them to share more details for how they are made as well as share the stls.

Regarding CAD software i'm using Fusion360 for these.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put together some details for the design on the cuvette mixer, should have some time later this week to do that. I figured with all the interest in the trays i'll make a new post for them to share more details for how they are made as well as share the stls.

Regarding CAD software i'm using Fusion360 for these.
Awesome, could you share the F3D files in addition to the STLs?

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Here are the design files for the mixer (Housing and cuvette holder models, Arduino Code, Schematic, BOM). I decided not to share the native Fusion files for the housing because they aren't in a state I'd be comfortable sharing, but i did include step files which can be easily modified if you wish. The native Fusion file is there for the part that holds the cuvette so should be easy to modify to suit your needs.

I've got a bunch of extra components so was thinking i'd sell some of the mixers in the 3d printed parts forum at some point, so stay posted if you want one but don't feel like building it.

Attachments

• Hanna_Cuvette_Mixer 10062020.zip
    390.8 KB · Views: 139

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the magnets in the BOM for, don't see them in the teardown? Also i have no idea about servos, is SG90 9G a standardized size?

gregor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Here are the design files for the mixer (Housing and cuvette holder models, Arduino Code, Schematic, BOM). I decided not to share the native Fusion files for the housing because they aren't in a state I'd be comfortable sharing, but i did include step files which can be easily modified if you wish. The native Fusion file is there for the part that holds the cuvette so should be easy to modify to suit your needs.

I've got a bunch of extra components so was thinking i'd sell some of the mixers in the 3d printed parts forum at some point, so stay posted if you want one but don't feel like building it.
Thank you very much

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the magnets in the BOM for, don't see them in the teardown? Also i have no idea about servos, is SG90 9G a standardized size?

I knew there was something i missed, I'm using the magnets to retain the battery door instead of a snap feature on the plastics. Here is a picture showing that and a video of the snap-action, way cooler than a snap fit :D

Regarding the servos, i believe SG90 is the model of the servo in the picture, this size is commonly referred to as 'micro servos', looks like 9G is the weight (9 grams)
IMG-0995.jpg

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brewtoszek, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I realized that in some cases instructions call for shaking vigorously so some tweaking might be needed. In any case this should help obtain more consistent results and it just looks so cool ;)

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brewtoszek, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I realized that in some cases instructions call for shaking vigorously so some tweaking might be needed. In any case this should help obtain more consistent results and it just looks so cool ;)

Sure, happy to share with the community! Regarding vigorous shaking, this was originally designed for the Hanna Phosphate checker and calcium checker which calls for gentle mixing in the manual. I know the nitrate kit calls for vigorous shaking, of the kits i have i believe that's the only one. I have been thinking about making something for that, and also the filtering step.

I was also curious about trying this mixing method for the nitrate test though to see if it would impact the results. I'll keep everyone posted if i do.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all of this, I love my 3d printer and ideas like this are awesome. Can you post the designs for the mixers insides - like which boards, chips, components and how you have it all wired? I'd love to make one.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those servos look familiar! They make a metal digital version as well. Not that it would likely matter for this application. Valuehobby.com use to have those servos for a couple bux a piece.

58E1644E-4F54-49F6-AAE5-4D7F542F4D0B.jpeg

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, happy to share with the community! Regarding vigorous shaking, this was originally designed for the Hanna Phosphate checker and calcium checker which calls for gentle mixing in the manual. I know the nitrate kit calls for vigorous shaking, of the kits i have i believe that's the only one. I have been thinking about making something for that, and also the filtering step.

I was also curious about trying this mixing method for the nitrate test though to see if it would impact the results. I'll keep everyone posted if i do.
I'm thinking about a DIY magnetic stirrer. I have a bunch of small fans and magnets. I'd just need to buy the pill. This hobby is so fun.

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of this, I love my 3d printer and ideas like this are awesome. Can you post the designs for the mixers insides - like which boards, chips, components and how you have it all wired? I'd love to make one.
Take a look at my post towards the top of the 2nd page, i have all of the design files attached there.

I'm thinking about a DIY magnetic stirrer. I have a bunch of small fans and magnets. I'd just need to buy the pill. This hobby is so fun.
The magnetic stirrer seems like it would be a good approach for that. I made a DIY one years ago to stir yeast for home brewing. It was based on a design that used a LM317 voltage regulator with a potentiometer to adjust the speed(voltage to fan). Super simple but effective.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take a look at my post towards the top of the 2nd page, i have all of the design files attached there.

The magnetic stirrer seems like it would be a good approach for that. I made a DIY one years ago to stir yeast for home brewing. It was based on a design that used a LM317 voltage regulator with a potentiometer to adjust the speed(voltage to fan). Super simple but effective.
Can you post the stl for the mixer?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll be there soon. Some soldering then some programming :)
Finally got around to soldiering it up. Not bad soldering skills for being out of the game for a few years. Now I have to find my mini USB cable lol

Attachments

• PXL_20201219_235901892.jpg
    PXL_20201219_235901892.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20201219_235849761.jpg
    PXL_20201219_235849761.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 73

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sweet, is there a video of it working?. A cheap drying rack is to use egg crate. The cuvettes fit perfectly when upside down, not as cool as 3-D printing though

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but just recently found this -- cool idea!
Had a friend 3D print from your STLs last night.
Pieces fit well so now just have to see if I ever get up the motivation to deal with the electronics/mechanical parts.

Thanks!

Just for fun, time-lapse of the print:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back