DIY Battery Backup for DC Return Pump

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24VDC return pump & need a battery backup to keep it running during power outages.
The diagram below shows the AC power entering the pumps Driver, & 24.18V DC leaving it.
My thought is to place two 12V batteries connected in series in between the pumps Driver & the pumps Controller. The Driver will keep the batteries charged, & when the AC power cuts out, the batteries take over & run the pump.

So (1), is there any possible problem with this design?
and (2), the output from the Driver is 24.18 volts, & the batteries Standby voltage is 27 - 27.8 volts (fully charged). Could the higher voltage of the batteries damage the controller (do I need a voltage regulator in line?).

Thanks for any feedback.

upload_2018-8-16_14-41-1.png

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are missing a charge controller. I'm no electrician though...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24VDC return pump & need a battery backup to keep it running during power outages.
The diagram below shows the AC power entering the pumps Driver, & 24.18V DC leaving it.
My thought is to place two 12V batteries connected in series in between the pumps Driver & the pumps Controller. The Driver will keep the batteries charged, & when the AC power cuts out, the batteries take over & run the pump.

and (2), the output from the Driver is 24.18 volts, & the batteries Standby voltage is 27 - 27.8 volts (fully charged). Could the higher voltage of the batteries damage the controller (do I need a voltage regulator in line?).

Thanks for any feedback.

Thanks for any feedback.

If my device add 120v coil, N.C. relay. Power relay coil with a cord, plug into same outlet as pump.
When there's power to pump, relay has power too. So relay breaks circuit to batteries so batteries and power from home not powering pump. When power out to outlet, the relay deactivates. Permitting power from batteries to pump.

1534405989046.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, buy two more batteries, all of them(4) deep cycle type. Use two, when batteries need charge change with other two.then charge the ones low on charge. But, personally, lithium batteries way to go. Smaller, lighter. Big investment, but worth it.

Batteries should need very little charge, because their mainly stand by.

If you could get 1000amp cca, batteries. Rare to have to charge them. Maybe in two years.

Last edited:

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, buy two more batteries, all of them(4) deep cycle type. Use two, when batteries need charge change with other two.then charge the ones low on charge. But, personally, lithium batteries way to go. Smaller, lighter. Big investment, but worth it.

I guess I don't see the point of having two sets of batteries. If the power is out for an extended time, how are you going to charge up the first set of batteries? If you have a power source that can charge the batteries, why not just use that power source to run the pump or entire tank? I would, and did, get one battery backup to sustain the tank until I have the chance to connect a small generator.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my device add 120v coil, N.C. relay. Power relay coil with a cord, plug into same outlet as pump.
When there's power to pump, relay has power too. So relay breaks circuit to batteries so batteries and power from home not powering pump. When power out to outlet, the relay deactivates. Permitting power from batteries to pump.
That design would prevent the power from the driver charging the batteries (although the driver voltage isn't high enough to fully charge the batteries anyhow)

I understand how relays work, but what is the purpose of the 120v coil?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That design would prevent the power from the driver charging the batteries (although the driver voltage isn't high enough to fully charge the batteries anyhow)

I understand how relays work, but what is the purpose of the 120v coil?
Relay is activated as long as main power of home on. When a black out occurs it deactivates and permits batteries to kick in. This is simplest design. MO

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back