DIY battery backup questions

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to upgrade my current diy battery backup. First I am looking for a 1000-1500 watt inverter charger that I can plug into my wall outlet and pass power through similar to how a ups does. Next what do I lose power wise going from 12 volt DC and back to AC. I mainly want to power an L2 return pump and several MP40s during power outages and those are 32 volt controllers. I’m sure there must be some loss. I’ll be using a 100ah LifePo4 battery. I want to plug my eb832 directly into the inverter and when I lose power only things programmed to run will continue to run. Other items plugged into the eb832 will (hopefully) turn off via advanced programing. I do have a generator but there are times when it can take me a several hours to get home and get that fired up. Lastly, how do people control temp in this situation. The tank can pretty much run for a day or more on a battery but in the northeast the temp can plummet in the tank pretty quick. 220 reef, 50 gallon sump, and 20 gallon frag tank.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to upgrade my current diy battery backup. First I am looking for a 1000-1500 watt inverter charger that I can plug into my wall outlet and pass power through similar to how a ups does. Next what do I lose power wise going from 12 volt DC and back to AC. I mainly want to power an L2 return pump and several MP40s during power outages and those are 32 volt controllers. I’m sure there must be some loss. I’ll be using a 100ah LifePo4 battery. I want to plug my eb832 directly into the inverter and when I lose power only things programmed to run will continue to run. Other items plugged into the eb832 will (hopefully) turn off via advanced programing. I do have a generator but there are times when it can take me a several hours to get home and get that fired up. Lastly, how do people control temp in this situation. The tank can pretty much run for a day or more on a battery but in the northeast the temp can plummet in the tank pretty quick. 220 reef, 50 gallon sump, and 20 gallon frag tank.
This was my last battery/inverter sketch.

The ecotech vectra and vortechs have special battery backup cables you can wire directly to a battery.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my last battery/inverter sketch.

The ecotech vectra and vortechs have special battery backup cables you can wire directly to a battery.
Yea I have them now. I do t like how hot the Vectra gets using the battery booster. I’d rather eliminate the cables and use an inverter if I can get away with it. The inverter charger will normally run off regular AC power until the power gets out. It’ll switch over to battery automatically. Once the power comes on it will recharge the battery and switch over to trickle charge when done. Basically trying to build a ups with better parts.

bori67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together with an ATS, have the smart battery charger to keep battery fresh. When power if out it automatic switches to battery back up, I have 2 Tunze's wavemakers for now connected to the battery backup.
20230320_205612.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together with an ATS, have the smart battery charger to keep battery fresh. When power if out it automatic switches to battery back up, I have 2 Tunze's wavemakers for now connected to the battery backup.
20230320_205612.jpg
Thats pretty cool. Not a bad price for the ATS either.
Have you tested it?

I wonder how much more reliable this is for the batteries vs drawing power directly through the batteries to the inverter 24/7.

bori67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty cool. Not a bad price for the ATS either.
Have you tested it?

I wonder how much more reliable this is for the batteries vs drawing power directly through the batteries to the inverter 24/7.
I got the ATS from Amazon, had great reviews. I know is a bit over kill but I wanted the ability to have the pumps come on automatically specially if your not at home. The ATS is a Jonasc 63A 2P Dual Power Automatic Transfer Switch 110v Generator Changeover Switch 50HZ/60HZ, you can also use it manually if you choose to. I have tested just for a few minutes to make sure it does what it needs to do, I have confidence that the battery should power the Wavemakers for quite sometime since the smart charger always keeps it fully charge. I have touch all the equipment for signs of overheating and all is good. I think drawing the power directly through the batteries to the inverter 24/7 in my case is not a good idea if I want to preserve the batteries for a long time, I believe this way is more reliable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230320_205612.jpg
Is there a difference/benefit between your setup and an inverter charger with a built in transfer switch? Something like this? Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger DC AC Battery Power Converter

bori67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference/benefit between your setup and an inverter charger with a built in transfer switch? Something like this? Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger DC AC Battery Power Converter

The only thing I can think of is the ability to replace any parts in case the inverter stops working, for example according to Amazon reviews the Renogy unit stop charging the batteries with in a few months, others mention having the same issue, I'll consider the difference again to be changing parts and money, the smart battery charger cost me $40..00, the battery $25.00, the inverter I had already which was giving to me, you can actually buy an inverter according to your set up and needs, I will advise to make sure the inverter fans don't stay on all the time while the unit is on the standby position, hope that helps.

bori67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on how long the battery back up could run, Yesterday we loss power here in Indian Trail NC, the battery back up last 4 hours, I'm please about that but probably would add another 12v battery for more running time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back