DIY Bootleg "EcoTech" Battery Backup

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to use the same system as the opening post, but i need it to run 2 mp40's

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using a 15a or 20a fuse between the trickle charger and the battery? i would assume since my wall outlet is likely rated for 15a, i should use a 15a fuse

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to use the same system as the opening post, but i need it to run 2 mp40's
Interesting - curious why you'll need to run two MP40s? Assume you got a ginormous tank? I have two MP40s but only hooked up one wavemaker for battery backup. I believe one wavemaker is more than adequate to provide enough circulation for my 150g tank.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont ever have multiday power outages. at most i have a 4-5 hr outage. Since I dont need battery backup for a long period of time, I might as well just keep as much of the flow going.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont ever have multiday power outages. at most i have a 4-5 hr outage. Since I dont need battery backup for a long period of time, I might as well just keep as much of the flow going.
True -- public utility has been somewhat robust in our area but we have witnessed scheduled maintenance that would last for 8+hrs before. That said, I had an incident recently where a bad Trident (water spilled on the device, more on that later) killed my whole Apex setup: all 3 WAV pumps & return pump were down -- so no flow while I was away for 7+ hours! Luckily my one MP40 was still running since it was not part of Apex's energy bar, just plugged into a wall on a separate circuit. Since then, I've put a battery backup to it for added insurance.

Lessons learned for me, adopting an old adage of "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst".

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this great, easy tutorial. I set this up for one of my MP40s. I’ve been testing how long it will last and so far I’m at 40 hours with the mp40 at 10%. More than long enough runtime for me.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discuss that in the video. The Ecotech is only an 18 Ah lead battery v. a 20 Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate in my build. Lead batteries are only good for a few hundred cycles (discharges) v. thousands for lithium, so we're talking triple the longevity with more capacity, and 50 dollars less. Hope that answers your question. The $150 is for ALL components (battery, charger, and cable), not just the battery.
The real question is, over ten years on from it's release, why is ecotech still selling a janky lead acid battery..... for over 200$

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question is, over ten years on from it's release, why is ecotech still selling a janky lead acid battery..... for over 200$
Because they can. Also, they can sell us more if these guys go bad. That's why I've built 3 more DIY battery setups for my other tanks, including frag & quarantine tanks since they have MP10s.

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sort of. EcoTech is 1.35 x 3.5 jack. You linked 2.1x5.5 (won’t work).

What are you trying to do? The ecotech battery backup already has 2 outputs. Is this for a DIY system?

I hope you may be able to assist as you seem to know the jack sizes etc.

I've got the ecotech backup already connected to an Mp40 on my main display. (Purchased for £35 second hand)
I'm looking to use the second channel to link to an Mp10 on my nano tank but the official cable is far too short.
Buying a bunch of those and stripping them back to join seems like it would be expensive and bodge.

What's the best and most cost effective way to obtain a cable to reach? Needs to be a good 3 or 4 metres long to go round a doorframe, can these be bought 3rd party in this sort of size or are there M-F extenders?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you may be able to assist as you seem to know the jack sizes etc.

I've got the ecotech backup already connected to an Mp40 on my main display. (Purchased for £35 second hand)
I'm looking to use the second channel to link to an Mp10 on my nano tank but the official cable is far too short.
Buying a bunch of those and stripping them back to join seems like it would be expensive and bodge.

What's the best and most cost effective way to obtain a cable to reach? Needs to be a good 3 or 4 metres long to go round a doorframe, can these be bought 3rd party in this sort of size or are there M-F extenders?

Good deal!

You would not need to buy multiple Ecotech cables ($$$) to extend it. You buy 1 Ecotech cable, cut it, and then patch in generic wire for the extension.

I am not aware of any 3rd party or M/F extenders.

reefpeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal!

You would not need to buy multiple Ecotech cables ($$$) to extend it. You buy 1 Ecotech cable, cut it, and then patch in generic wire for the extension.

I am not aware of any 3rd party or M/F extenders.
That's good to know! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer that.
Could you recommend a link to somewhere I can buy a generic cable as I'm not sure what I'm looking for you see

Auntjemimma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I have on my excel sheet list:
  • 2pcs 3.5mm x 1.35mm Female DC Power Jack. Amazon ASIN: B07Y8KSC5Q ($.40/e landed Alibaba)
  • 2pcs 5.5mm x 2.10mm Female DC Power Jack. Amazon ASIN: B07LF1193N ($.40/e landed Alibaba)
  • 2pcs Wire Nut. Wago 5-port type. Amazon ASIN: B06XH47DC2 ($.60/e landed Alibaba)
  • 1pcs 12V-60V Power Meter Display ($1.70 landed Alibaba)
  • 1pcs 3D Printed "Standard Housing Voltage Meter Faceplate" ($.40/e)
  • 1pcs 3D Printed "Standard Housing Voltage Meter Backplate" ($.40/e)
  • 1pcs 3D Printed "Standard Housing Custom 4x 11.5mm Enclosure" ($.80/e)
  • Wire/Heat Shrink: $.50/e
Total item cost: ~$7 + 15m assembly.

You can choose your own battery and trickle charger, preferably a nicer LiFEPO4 battery that won't die in 3 years like the Ecotech Lead Acid one. Ecotech Fused Cables are $5/e. Below is a photo of the simple internals; negative to negatives, positive to positives.

IMG_7771.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Wouldn't the 5.5mm female DC jack need to be rated for 12v? Also what gauge of wire should I be using for the connectors?

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the 5.5mm female DC jack need to be rated for 12v? Also what gauge of wire should I be using for the connectors?

Which jacks are you looking at? Common 5.5x2.1 jacks are regularly used above 24v. 12v is fine.

Wire gauge is length and current dependent. Look up a chart and put in your requirements.

Auntjemimma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which jacks are you looking at? Common 5.5x2.1 jacks are regularly used above 24v. 12v is fine.

Wire gauge is length and current dependent. Look up a chart and put in your requirements.
I just copied the amazon code you have above and the connector says its rated for 5V under the "description" area. Do we know what kind of amperage is being drawn from the Ecotech mp40 drivers in battery backup mode?

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back