DIY calibration fluid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter moretor1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

moretor1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2024
Messages
409
Reaction score
240
Location
Lexington
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently made the mistake of purchasing a refractometer and no solution.
I understand that you're supposed to calibrate them As close to the goal level as possible

My question is can I just measure out 3.5g of salt on a jewelry scale and add it to 100ml of water? I have calibration weights for my scale so I can be 100% sure about the weight and volume of the water

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Does it need go be a more exact concentration than 35g/L?
My scale goes to the .0001g so I can be about as exact as needed
 
Check out the Articles section, there is an article for DIY calibration solution.

To sum it up for refractometers, it's 3.65g of Morton's iodized salt to 96.35g (mL) of RODI/distilled water. I did this the other day and it worked well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new