DIY Chaeto reactor

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was actually an extremely simple build! I wanted to free up a chamber of my sump for a frag section... so I decided to migrate from a standard Refugium to a chaeto reactor! Using an old vertex reactor and some cheap led strip lights I was able to quickly build this awesome chaetomorpha reactor.

I'm actually kind of excited to clean it and see that log go chaeto this weekend!

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That looks like a hot mess to open and pull out Chaeto with it horizontally mounted. Also, it's $50 so long as you can find a used reactor for $40, buy the lights for $10, happen to have a 3-D printer on hand, don't account for the materials the 3-D printer uses, and have a dedicated pump on hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them made out of RODI canisters. Those can be picked up for 10-20$. All you need is a clear tube.. any only reactor or canister will work. You don't need 3d prints brackets (could rest on sump baffles or just mount vertically besides your sump like most people). Very simple design/build with tons of options! You just have to be creative!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back