DIY Cone Skimmer Kit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preorder is now open!

AVAST Marine Works - CS1 Cone Skimmer Kit - Product Details

Kit:

4827579386_36520b4ea4.jpg

3 assembly parts- cup, cone, base/bubble plate:

4827579794_7c34425e80.jpg

Final assembly:

4826970449_ffa431af8a.jpg

Size comparison: ATB 840 cone on right:

4827580900_71a09f1d9c.jpg

Planning on doing a first run of 24 kits to ship on or before August 20th. That will give us time to adjust venturi to match up on the skimmer, get instructional videos up on youtube and work out packaging. Pricing for this initial run will be $160 for the kit, add a sicce psk 2500 pinwheel pump for $65, add a Swabbie for $100. We want to keep the price really reasonable on this first run of 24 units so we can get feedback, I hope a bunch of R2R members take advantage of this! We should have a preorder page up sometime soon.

Download Assembly Video: http://www.avastmarine.com/videos/CS1_Assembly.mov

Second batch of kits under production, shipping on or before September 17th.

This post will be updated as more information becomes available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was fast...

Just like our YOU Built media reactors and calcium reactors, except a cone skimmer :wink:

You would get all the CNC cut parts, plumbing precut, holes drilled and tapped, instructional videos, product support, etc. and build your own cone skimmer in a few hours over the course of a weekend.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was fast...

Just like our YOU Built media reactors and calcium reactors, except a cone skimmer :wink:

You would get all the CNC cut parts, plumbing precut, holes drilled and tapped, instructional videos, product support, etc. and build your own cone skimmer in a few hours over the course of a weekend.
I dont even need one but this sounds fun:D

RaysReef

Shazaam Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much would this kit cost? So basically you would supply all the parts and we just put it together ourselves? What would be the advantage of just buy one from you fully built? I do love the GS1 skimmer I originally got from you. I would rather just buy it already done *plug & play*

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am working the night shift at the shop tonight, the thermo forming oven if fired up and the cone mold is greased......

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much would this kit cost? So basically you would supply all the parts and we just put it together ourselves? What would be the advantage of just buy one from you fully built? I do love the GS1 skimmer I originally got from you. I would rather just buy it already done *plug & play*
Im sure the difference would be the cost.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Plug and play "AVAST Built" will be an option as well. Some like to "plug and play" and some like DIY, it's all good. Price would be about 30% lower on a kit than a prebuilt.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ troylee, I'm game. I see mojo is here too....

Last edited:
OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be cool!!!!! I don't need another skimmer at the moment but I love to build thangs!!!!!
What about the pump and volute??? On your own??

Honestly, the goal would be to assemble the components so someone with zero experience working with acrylic could build this, you may be a tad overqualified :bigsmile: Maybe you could build one and then we could give it to Rev to use as a R2R contest prize?

Pump and volute, we have several cases of PSK 2500's on the shelf with a box of injection molded pinwheels that are currently collecting dust since we dropped the GS1 to focus on the Swabbie. I was thinking staying closer to 750lph on a 7" cone body, 4" neck and a 5/8" reducer on the intake. Should be a nice reliable setup for 150 gallon tanks.

OP
OP
AVAST Marine

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would they come in different sizes?

Probably we would start with one size geared towards 150 gallon tanks like I mentioned and if the product was popular we could expand the line.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back