OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you back active again :).
I tend to drop a systemd timer unit, in each of my build that restarts wifi at night, every day. My theory is even if wifi is down or the network screws up, at midnight the wifi service will be restart, and everything should be back on. Since I started deploying these timers, I have not see long-standing wifi drop out issues.
that wasn't my issue. on my old project I had it check the wifi every min or so and reconnect if needed. the issue I really think was I was using a bad image. I was running into a power issue (I thought) that prevent it to boot at times. If I got it to boot my wifi would only stay on for a day or two max and then I would have to try and get it to connect again. I was thinking it was a power issue and just gave up on the unit. Order all new equipment and when I got the new equipment there was a note that said "if you see this during boot its not a power issue it a bad image".

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just don't have the time to dedicate to a project like that with 4 young kids. I have however, looked at @Ranjib 's reefpi project, and the cost to get it started. If I had the time to dedicate to it I would in a heart beat. For now, I will have to settle for the Apex. LOL

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I just don't have the time to dedicate to a project like that with 4 young kids. I have however, looked at @Ranjib 's reefpi project, and the cost to get it started. If I had the time to dedicate to it I would in a heart beat. For now, I will have to settle for the Apex. LOL
Time is money :)

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understand. There is weeks/months that I don't even think about the project due to family, work, life, etc....

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phase 1 is done and stable. Time to start planning phase 2
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 11.28.23 AM.png
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well phase 2 went smoothly and quicker then I thought; mainly with dealing with my father passing away on the 4th. Now I wasn't closed to my father but still was dealing with that which kinda help keep my mind on my project then other stuff.

So phase 2 was focus on the temp probe. I first added the clock to the main page.

I then added the temp sesnor which I tried learning how to sodder. Now sodding was easier than I thought but it didn't go well cause I didn't have helping hands so the wires kept moving. My brother had these shrink wrap with sodder butt connectors which worked great. Now the system will post the current temp (every 30 seconds it reads the temp). It then displays the min temp and the max temp as well. Now this clears anytime the system is rebooted/reloaded. Now what I was shocked by how easy it went was I have it so I can disable the temp probe as well as it will auto disable if the cables comes disconnected. I have the system log the temp on the hour into the database. If the probe is not plugged in the option to enable/disable it will not be there. If the probe is disable and/or not there the main display will not show anything about the temp. I ran into one issue but it was a moment of idiot on my part. I was testing my temp probe and kept reading the same temp. I was putting the tip in hot water and under my heat gun but temp never changed. It took me about 5 mins to find out I was using the wrong sensor (I had two laying next to each other and only one was plugged in)

IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.43 PM.png

Phase 3 is going to work on charts for some of the system

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well phase 2 went smoothly and quicker then I thought; mainly with dealing with my father passing away on the 4th. Now I wasn't closed to my father but still was dealing with that which kinda help keep my mind on my project then other stuff.

So phase 2 was focus on the temp probe. I first added the clock to the main page.

I then added the temp sesnor which I tried learning how to sodder. Now sodding was easier than I thought but it didn't go well cause I didn't have helping hands so the wires kept moving. My brother had these shrink wrap with sodder butt connectors which worked great. Now the system will post the current temp (every 30 seconds it reads the temp). It then displays the min temp and the max temp as well. Now this clears anytime the system is rebooted/reloaded. Now what I was shocked by how easy it went was I have it so I can disable the temp probe as well as it will auto disable if the cables comes disconnected. I have the system log the temp on the hour into the database. If the probe is not plugged in the option to enable/disable it will not be there. If the probe is disable and/or not there the main display will not show anything about the temp. I ran into one issue but it was a moment of idiot on my part. I was testing my temp probe and kept reading the same temp. I was putting the tip in hot water and under my heat gun but temp never changed. It took me about 5 mins to find out I was using the wrong sensor (I had two laying next to each other and only one was plugged in)

IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.37.43 PM.png

Phase 3 is going to work on charts for some of the system
Sorry to hear about your father. My condolences .

Like how the new version is coming up :)

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your father. My condolences .

Like how the new version is coming up :)

Thanks.

Same here. I think it helping that I am planning it out more. Yes my plan change as I go (when I see something doesn't work or want to add something) but it gives me a good footprint to follow keeping me on track and not jumping all over like before.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured phase 3 would take me a long time to figure out cause I had issues doing charts on my last project. It started out as I figured but then yesterday/today it all came together. So phase 3 was doing charts. Now I only have 2 charts on the system at this time. One chart is a donut chart that measure mem usage. The second chart is a line chart that display the temp for the last 24 hours. Not only did I get the chart working and looking semi-nice (still might change colors/style) I also got it so they don't 'flash' the screen. I am using Matplotlib and the animation which makes it a nice smooth update.

The red dotted lines are what will be my warning temp levels. This well help to show when and how long temp goes out of the set level.

IMG_0121.JPG

now the light blue outter circle is to display total ram. The darker blue inner ciricle is to show what being used where the black is not being used.

IMG_0122.JPG

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like the use of donut chart to show memory information
Yup I like it as well. Not 100% what I saw in my head but it works. Right now working on fixing mem leak issue with matplotlib but I think I solved it. I should know in about an hour or so.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both but no luck still leaking.

Then maybe its like me .. So much knowledge it has to leak,Vent and release some memory pressure to avoid Explosion Causing a Black hole and sucking humanity into deep space where Aliens eat humans ....

Yes that is my story and NO You cant borrow it..

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after doing a lot of searching and playing around I am having no good luck with fixing the leak. I know its due to my poor knowledge with python and programming. I am now breaking it down to find any and all leaks/poor memory managment in my code. Right now working on getting a baseline and then will go from there.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back