DIY filter compartment + ATS

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some crappy DIY job done. I'm not sure if they'll be worth the effort but I've finally managed to set up my tank with AIO filter compartment + river-style ATS.
Only just started to cycle the tank last night.

IMG_20200914_211343.jpg

IMG_20200914_211409.jpg

IMG_20200914_211437.jpg

They are mostly made of acrylic.

The filter compartment is not glued to the tank, it's a box just sitting in the tank. It is held in place with the skimmer mount, bits of plastic sheets pushed in on the rear side, and rocks at the bottom. Without them, the unit won't stay in its place. I might end up getting some gunk in between the glass and the box in the future.
The first chamber with the overflow has a slot for squire filter sock. I've also put a cut-out piece of plastic net and filter floss on top of the sock.
The second chamber is meant for a protein skimmer. I didn't put it in yet.
The third holds the return pump with the bio filter media (blocks, rings, etc) sitting on top of the pump.

The return tube is connected to the hang on the top river ATS.
I've read the river style ATS suck in its filtering capability in comparison to the waterfall or the upflow type but still went for it cuz I thought it could be easier to clean and maintain (it's easier to pull the screen out, the bits of algae broken off (after scaping the screen) can be filtered easily, I can cut out a number of screen pieces and clean them in rotation to keep the filter going.)
The ATS holds about 2cm depth of water, which is considered by many to be too high for an ATS to perform at its best. But I hope this; helps the algae from drying up, house some copepods and the like in the future (I think this might be difficult as the water flow seem much faster then I have expected), increase the water volume of the tank by teeny tiny bit.
A flaw I've found in the design is that a small bit of water (fast drips) overflows from the hole where the water inlet hose hangs. The inlet hole is placed too low for the amount of flow.
The inner side of ATS has reflective, glass like surfaces (thin mirror acrylic panels stuck onto the transparent acrylic panel from the outside)
The light unit/ATS lid has 4 rows of 5050 led strips, each 25cm long. 2 strips are all 660nm, the other 2 strips have one 450nm for every three 660nm bulbs. I was going to stick them side by side but ended up putting 2 of the same type in a row by mistake, too late to fix it now. The max power output is meant to be about 17.2w in total but I won't be running them in full power (got a dimmer) since they'll get too hot. The top part is made of an aluminium panel.

I'm not really a DIY guy but gave this a shot.
There were many things that didn't go as planned or things that I didn't take into account and needed fixing.
Hope they work as I intended.
Also, does it look like I need more rocks?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back