diy fish/coral foods what is your secret ingredient?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making diy food as I just got a lot of seafood scraps from the fish market for free, mostly salmon, cod, and shrimp heads. The fish will be the main ingredients but I would also include some squid tentacles, zoomed cyclops, hikari mysis, BRS golden pearls and easy reefs masstick. Is it okay to have salmon and cod be the main ingredient for this or would i be missing out on vitamins and amino acids needed from other orgainisms? Any opinions welcome

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mussels, deshelled frozen meat from my grocery freezer section. Ingredient say 100% mussels. Been using for 2 years. Fish go bonkers for it all diced up. My Tangs are THICK side2side. $5 for a 1lbs vacuum packed package

20211231_151618.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will look to see what they have around if its cheap and no preservatives im in

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every order over 20 dollars at saltwateraquarium.com you can get a sample of fish/coral food. I do this and mix them together into a container and add a little to diced up Patagonian King Prawn and it has worked for a long time... I am thinking the salmon and cod would work great as well.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done. 3 lg bags 1 small ziplock bag.

i did 1 pound cod, 1 pound salmon, 1 pound shrimp heads, about a half pound of clams, 1/2 pound squid tentacles, 1 jar reef chilli, 1/2 jar brs golden pearls (had a full jar of each BRS sent doubles by mistake wen i ordered last year), seaweed mixed sp., easy reef masstick 14 grams, and i forgot to add the zoo med cyclops so i froze that separately (whoops)

Attachments

• 20211231_204513.jpg
    20211231_204513.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably would be charged at least $60 in hikari and lrs substitute so i think i made off well, i had to order the masstick with my yellow tang as well to get free shipping from biota, so this was pretty much $5 for clams and i think also $6 for zoomed stuff i forgot to even put in, lol

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mussels, deshelled frozen meat from my grocery freezer section. Ingredient say 100% mussels. Been using for 2 years. Fish go bonkers for it all diced up. My Tangs are THICK side2side. $5 for a 1lbs vacuum packed package

20211231_151618.jpg
Is it okay to use cooked frozen foods instead of raw. Want to go back to making some food but do not want to shell anything. So clams and mussels are okay cooked and not raw? Still have the gut health advantage?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it okay to use cooked frozen foods instead of raw. Want to go back to making some food but do not want to shell anything. So clams and mussels are okay cooked and not raw? Still have the gut health advantage?
All I know is my Tangs are very thick bc of the loads of protein. No fish has died bc its pre-cooked. I use the science of my eyes in the results I see

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I need to start doing this DIY as fish food is becoming expensive each month 2 packs of cubes x 12 months

What kind of blender should i buy? That's the start. Any advice?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to start doing this DIY as fish food is becoming expensive each month 2 packs of cubes x 12 months

What kind of blender should i buy? That's the start. Any advice?
I use a reg blender from Walmart

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done. 3 lg bags 1 small ziplock bag.

i did 1 pound cod, 1 pound salmon, 1 pound shrimp heads, about a half pound of clams, 1/2 pound squid tentacles, 1 jar reef chilli, 1/2 jar brs golden pearls (had a full jar of each BRS sent doubles by mistake wen i ordered last year), seaweed mixed sp., easy reef masstick 14 grams, and i forgot to add the zoo med cyclops so i froze that separately (whoops)
Nice! Glad I'm not the only one with bags of vomit in my freezer.

For next time I'd skip the masstick. Won't add anything beneficial imo and will only make a huge mess. For small foods I always add a bunch of fish and lobster eggs and red plankton. Fish love it!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0

For next time I'd skip the masstick. Won't add anything beneficial imo and will only make a huge mess. For small foods I always add a bunch of fish and lobster eggs and red plankton. Fish love it!
Lobster eggs and plankton… where in the grocery isle is that

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It actually seemed like the masstick made the whole thing kind of sticky and more gelatinous, mostly did it for the extra coral food and vitamins in it though as I had it on hand. But when dropped in water the whole thing mostly stays in a buoyant clump rather than breaking apart and getting all over the place

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did add reef chili (for phyto mix plus astaxanthin, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants) as well and i think that is really what will foul the water more, but i only used 18.4 grams of it (1 jar) so shouldnt be too bad phosphate/nitrate wise

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did add reef chili (for phyto mix plus astaxanthin, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants) as well and i think that is really what will foul the water more, but i only used 18.4 grams of it (1 jar) so shouldnt be too bad phosphate/nitrate wise
I pour a couple of cap full of fuel into mixture. The freeze dried plankton and mysis absorb a lot of the extra juices

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
golden pearls main ingredients are marine krill and fish roe so those should also help balance the whole thing, with the masstick acting as a binding agent so it doesnt just go everywhere
I pour a couple of cap full of fuel into mixture. The freeze dried plankton and mysis absorb a lot of the extra juices
wat do u mean by "fuel", jet fuel? jk just curious

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used reef chili and masstick as it was the only things on hand for vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, phyto, and zooplankton, but the masstick seems to actually be a pretty good additive if it actually contains enough vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, it is really cheap for a 14 gram sack ($8) to use as a binder for larger mixes. I will let you know how nutrients are being effected in the next couple of weeks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back