DIY Fish Trap

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a fish trap.

I have a 180g display with 2x 3 Stripe damsels 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch and a 9 inch Lionfish. These are the problem children.
I also have a Yellow Tang (5 inch), Sailfin Tang (4 inch), Scopia Tang (3 inch), Maroon clown (5 inch), bi Colored Foxface (5 inch), Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse (5 inch) and two other damsels both about 2 inches.
The larger 3 stripe damsel is a terrorist! Between the lionfish and the terrorist damsel, I can't successfully add another fish.

I purchased a Yellow Coris Wrasse last week. I got him for pest control.
Once introduced to the display, he immediately went into the sand for 4 days. When he came up, he was hammered by the terrorist damsel. He was stalked by the lionfish. He dove back into the sand for protection.
Next day, same thing. Today... same thing.

I built this fish trap because
They gotta go!

20201203_134454.jpg

This is a clear plastic container with styrofoam. The styrofoam is around the opening attached with rubber bands.
There is airline tube in a hole that I drilled into the container that I can add food into the trap while it's underwater. I will use a syringe to add a small amount of food.

Mag float attaches the trap to the glass.

The idea is to entice the fish inside the trap by squirting a bit of food into the trap. Once the fish is inside, I will pull the magnet and the styrofoam will float the opening of the trap above the surface of the water and trap the fish.
Once caught, the 3 stripe damsels will be rehomed in my 15 gallon column tank and the lionfish will be in a 20 gallon long until I can figure out what to do with him.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can catch the lionfish with 1/16oz fishing jig.
use a barbless hook.
If I do that, I will catch the Tangs and the Foxface. They greedy!
I can catch the Lionfish with a bucket. He trusts me and he ain't the brightest fish on the planet. It's like he has no sense of danger.
That works for me!

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might take a few days to catch the Damsels but the Sailfin Tang and the Foxface went straight into the trap once I put the food in.

Damsels are cautious!

RMD_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome DIY! I wish this post was around when I tried catching my small hippo tang a few months back..

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this work? I’ve been trying different DIY fish traps, but I’m only catching snails!

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It worked but not for the damsels.
The damsels would not go in.
Every other fish went in but not them.

Last edited:

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a fish trap.

I have a 180g display with 2x 3 Stripe damsels 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch and a 9 inch Lionfish. These are the problem children.
I also have a Yellow Tang (5 inch), Sailfin Tang (4 inch), Scopia Tang (3 inch), Maroon clown (5 inch), bi Colored Foxface (5 inch), Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse (5 inch) and two other damsels both about 2 inches.
The larger 3 stripe damsel is a terrorist! Between the lionfish and the terrorist damsel, I can't successfully add another fish.

I purchased a Yellow Coris Wrasse last week. I got him for pest control.
Once introduced to the display, he immediately went into the sand for 4 days. When he came up, he was hammered by the terrorist damsel. He was stalked by the lionfish. He dove back into the sand for protection.
Next day, same thing. Today... same thing.

I built this fish trap because
They gotta go!

20201203_134454.jpg

This is a clear plastic container with styrofoam. The styrofoam is around the opening attached with rubber bands.
There is airline tube in a hole that I drilled into the container that I can add food into the trap while it's underwater. I will use a syringe to add a small amount of food.

Mag float attaches the trap to the glass.

The idea is to entice the fish inside the trap by squirting a bit of food into the trap. Once the fish is inside, I will pull the magnet and the styrofoam will float the opening of the trap above the surface of the water and trap the fish.
Once caught, the 3 stripe damsels will be rehomed in my 15 gallon column tank and the lionfish will be in a 20 gallon long until I can figure out what to do with him.

Wish me luck.
I just stumbled on this thread trying to figure out how to make a floating fish trap that is magnetic, and isn't $70. You made exactly what I need!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back