DIY Float Switch in my Skimmer cup

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a float switch in my protein skimmer cup, so if the power goes out or if the skimmers start's to Overflow it will push that float switch closed which is connected to my Neptune breakout box and my Apex controller will automatically shut my skimmer off! I had learned the hard way when my skimmer cup was almost totally filled with nasty black stuff from a weeks worth of skimming and the power went out and before you knew my water in my sump was complety black...NEVER AGAIN.... 5/8 drill bit did the trick and an extra long float switch. I THINK ever skimmer should be sold with these installed on them.

TANK INFO:
120 MIXED REEF

SKIMMER CUP DIY.jpg

Breakout box.jpg

Apex Panel.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, all the new reef octopus dc skimmer pumps come with one these days, never installed mine, and have regretted it a few times. New skimmer doesn't have one, but I should retrofit one.

bfliflet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a way to disconnect the float switch when cleaning the lid? I've been wanting to do the same thing but haven't found a small quick disconnect for the float switch.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a float switch in my protein skimmer cup, so if the power goes out or if the skimmers start's to Overflow it will push that float switch closed which is connected to my Neptune breakout box and my Apex controller will automatically shut my skimmer off! I had learned the hard way when my skimmer cup was almost totally filled with nasty black stuff from a weeks worth of skimming and the power went out and before you knew my water in my sump was complety black...NEVER AGAIN.... 5/8 drill bit did the trick and an extra long float switch. I THINK ever skimmer should be sold with these installed on them.

TANK INFO:
120 MIXED REEF

SKIMMER CUP DIY.jpg

Breakout box.jpg

Apex Panel.jpg
Out if curiosity... why does you skimmer overflow during a power outage?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out if curiosity... why does you skimmer overflow during a power outage?

Don't know why the OP's does, but once in a blue moon (more like once a year) if I'm running wet, it can do it. Nice back up.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know why the OP's does, but once in a blue moon (more like once a year) if I'm running wet, it can do it. Nice back up.
What does the power going have contribute to that though? I think I'm just confused... lol

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the power going have contribute to that though? I think I'm just confused... lol

Good question, I don't really know. Wish I did. My skimmer sets in its own chamber, so it s water level is always consistent, even when the power goes out and the back syphon happens until done.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I don't really know. Wish I did. My skimmer sets in its own chamber, so it s water level is always consistent, even when the power goes out and the back syphon happens until done.
Hmmm... interesting!

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the skimmer turns on at the same time as the return, and the cup is on the fuller side, it starts to skim with the sump level way higher than normal. It’s worse with my setup (AC skimmer pump and slow start DC return pump). I’m assuming that’s what the OP is experiencing.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to time my skimmer to come after I use the apex feed mode. If I don’t the skimmer comes on when the water is way high in the sump. It fills my overflow container every time. Why not just program the skimmer to stay off for an additional half hour?

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to time my skimmer to come after I use the apex feed mode. If I don’t the skimmer comes on when the water is way high in the sump. It fills my overflow container every time. Why not just program the skimmer to stay off for an additional half hour?

I have both. The float switch is worth it on the off chance that the cup overflows due to neglect when wet skimming or any other random occurrence.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I didn’t mention I have as overflow container. It has a float switch that turns off the power to the skimmer when it is filled.

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh then a float switch in your skimmer cup is useless lol

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the things I am going to do and a reason for getting a breakout box.

For me its about my neglect or the very random occurances where the skimmer goes nuts and starts skimming very wet. I already have the feed mode timing in the apex so no issues with tank startup after feeding. My concern and reason for adding it is mostly to cover my missing it. The stuff in there is so nasty i would rather the skimmer shut down and alert me than have it overflow into the tank,

Also, i have seen my skimmer go a little over active when putting a new filter sock in the sump. Only a new one mind you but i had heard it could happen and noticed it the last time i put a new sock in.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I had was that the distance between the outer wall of the skimmer cup and the inner rim on the lid was narrow enough that most float switches don’t fit. The ones that do would end up being close enough to the wall that they had a good chance of getting stuck. I ended up hooking up an external drain to a plastic jug. I put a float switch in the top of the jug that goes to my breakout box to shut off the skimmer.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way to do this is using the apex leak detection system. Before I got my overflow container I would run the skim mate to a wine bottle . I then put the jar on top of a leak detector sensor. If the bottle overflowed the skim mate traveled down the outside onto the sensor. The apex then turned off the skimmer. I always ended up having some skim mate to clean up but it wasn’t too. I stared doing this after my slimmer dumped a couple of gallons on the flor a couple of times.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer turns on at the same time as the return, and the cup is on the fuller side, it starts to skim with the sump level way higher than normal. It’s worse with my setup (AC skimmer pump and slow start DC return pump). I’m assuming that’s what the OP is experiencing.
that one is an easy fix. i jist added a line of code for a delay if main return goes off before skimmer turns back on. so evertime power goes out or i switch off pump there is 2 min before skimmer turns back on.

but it doesnt fix random "flashiness" that comes with my new reef sometime out of nowwhere just goes nuts.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back