Diy Frag Plugs

DaprDon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of making my own frag plugs.

I noticed some market frag plugs state "Cured made from 100% Caribsea reef sand".

What would be the bonding agent?

I've seen white portland cement used with sand in DIY but that wouldn't make the plug 100% sand.

I know about the curing process but I was wondering if the ONLY sand was Caribsea brand, being the meaning behind the100%

Last edited:

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with using portland cement? I used over 100 lbs of the stuff for the background on my display. Just be sure to let it cure (soak in water) for weeks before putting in your system.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use variously sized pieces of travertine tile available at any big box hardware store in convenient 12x12 sheets. If it's a stick (acro) I'll use a small one. If it's something that will encrust, one of the larger ones. A huge + in my book is that there are no plug stems to deal with when it's time to place the coral in your tank.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use variously sized pieces of travertine tile available at any big box hardware store in convenient 12x12 sheets. If it's a stick (acro) I'll use a small one. If it's something that will encrust, one of the larger ones. A huge + in my book is that there are no plug stems to deal with when it's time to place the coral in your tank.

I like that.

Today I learned that travertine from hotter springs is primarily aragonite, and travertine from cooler springs is primarily calcite.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 178 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back