DIY Frag Rack and Magnets?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have Access to a Ceramic Kiln, and was thinking about making my own Custom Frag Racks. They would hitch hike on a firing. Are there Saltwater Safe Magnets for Sale on the Internet. Also I doubt a magnet would survive a firing in a Kiln. I’m guessing the Kiln Owner will know how to create the opening in the Frag Rack, for gluing the magnet in place. Looking to see if anyone else has done this.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.kjmagnetics.com is my go-to for magnets. The ones I use are 3/4 diameter x 3/8 thick with ~10lbs pull. They have them already coated in plastic. Some of the ones I've been using are going on 15+ years old with no sign of any problems. I attach them to my DIY acrylic racks with epoxy and then pair them up with the same magnets on the outside of the tank.

HTH!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.kjmagnetics.com is my go-to for magnets. The ones I use are 3/4 diameter x 3/8 thick with ~10lbs pull. They have them already coated in plastic. Some of the ones I've been using are going on 15+ years old with no sign of any problems. I attach them to my DIY acrylic racks with epoxy and then pair them up with the same magnets on the outside of the tank.

HTH!
This is something I was looking for, thanks!!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KJ seconded. Depends a lot on wall thickness.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use them to hold doors in place, no. But for any potentially wet uses yes

I’ve got 8-10 of both on hand in the shop. Very handy there as well. Great for holding plans to the wall. Just find a drywall screw and you are good to go!

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HTH!
When you use the magnet size referenced in your post, what thickness of glass? I am trying to determine the correct size of magnets to stick through 5/8" glass. I didn't see a reference to how you are using them?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thickest glass I've used those on is on an ancient Oceanic 120, so probably 1/2". They sell larger/stronger ones as well, so I'm certain you can find what you need there.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back