DIY frag rack.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Just thought I’d post these here to give others some ideas if you wanted to diy something similar.

Not exactly a build thread. But basically I made these with very few hand tools and a dremmel l, so definitely not a high quality finish. But they get the job done for a fraction of the cost of buying at retail.

Each took about 2-3 hrs to make, the larger ones are etched with identifying marks for coral sales, done with a dremmel. All cutting was with a dremmel as was sanding. Apart from the fine 2000 grit final before the flame polish.

The Black/Irange was a bit of an experiment when it came to bonding both bits of arcrylic face to face. As you may see it wasn’t the best result. Due to using Weldon 4 (Evaporates to quickly) but it was all I have on hand. Will probably use Weldon 16 next time.

The Black/Ice blue one is awaiting an Amazon delivery of silicon mat that I want to add in between this one. I’ll post pic when it’s complete.
Cutting the “Buttons” from the Arcrylic rod was a tedious event due to their precise small size

if anyone wants to know more feel free to ask away. Sharing is caring.

Now. Final project. I.e. experiment. I got to thinking. We all use yellow/orange filter lenses to take nice “real life” colour photos of our corals! So why can’t that filter be apart of the viewing ring? So. I did exactly that. I made a ring with a yellow base plate. Now. Remember this is an experiment. And of course the lense colour is dependent on the amount of blue light. But I think this yellow, or at least I hope this yellow covers 90% of situations. Well that is the plan lol. I’ll test this next week and post the findings. Good or bad.

That’s about its it then.

Happy reefing.

IMG_4366.jpeg IMG_4367.jpeg IMG_4407.jpeg IMG_4408.jpeg IMG_4493.jpeg IMG_4494.jpeg IMG_4521.jpeg IMG_4525.jpeg IMG_4523.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So I said I’d update this thread with the results of the coral viewer experiment. We’ll. Today was the day, or I should say today should have been the day. Unfortunately today didn’t exactly go as planned. By the time we did an entire re-scape, cleaned out the frag tank, did some fragging and put everything back the lights were out and the sand bed was stirred quite heavily. So no way was we going to see anything. However. I’ll be back on Monday to see the results and test the viewing ring. So. Results coming soon.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back