diy homemade fish food suggestions

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are some of your recipes?
i plan on buying fresh seafoods and then blending them and then freezing them.
ive read from one of the threads inspired by Paul B that its better to buy fresh and then freezing it. or something like that.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the back of the packaging of your favorite food blends and try and replicate it. You can try adding Selcon or some other vitamin supplement to improve taste and norishment.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my blend and it can vary. All ingredients are raw. Shelled shrimp, clams, tilapia and/or cod, scallops, noir sheet, frozen: brine, mysis, mysid, rotifers, cyclopeez if you can get it, plankton, baby brine, fish eggs, your choice of powder coral food, then I finiwh it off with a clove of garlic or some GarlicXtrem and Selcon. Blend it all up and freeze.

Scooter.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chop or dice by hand or use a hand chopper.
Using a food processor makes it all to fine and is wasted.
Make it chunky!
I find what's on sale at the local fish markets. (Cod. Talapia. Blues. Weak. Flounder. Etc.)
Also canned sardines, clams or crabmeat work too. Add fresh minced garlic. I go to the local Asian grocery, can get nori by the sheets, 25+ for .10 to. 15 cents a sheet
I freeze cubes in silicone cube trays. Many sizes and shapes can be found. Pop out really easy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made frozen food for many years, your fish will be better for it.
Still;
I would caution anyone adding raw food into a tank the same way I would caution anyone eating raw food: this can be a superior method for ingesting pathogens into your system.

Some of the frozen fish & reef food mfgrs advertise their products to be sterilized before frozen. (No telling if their cubes are defrosted multiple times before they are sold at the lfs.)
Still, I think these food suppliers are onto something. Freezing does not kill all bacteria or seafood parasites that can be found in fresh or frozen raw seafood.

Same as raw pork or chicken, potentially could be. Bon appetite!

GL.

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freeze cubes in silicone cube trays. Many sizes and shapes can be found. Pop out really easy.

https://www.amazon.com/TrueZoo-Para...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0G1BMK88CR8QN3RWJYGD

81dgPY72wnL__SL1500_.jpg

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recipe contains:
Nori
Mysis
Krill
Oyster feast
Cyclopods
What ever white meat fish is wild caught and cheapest
Squid
Octopus
Clams
Scallops

Lastly I add selcon and a little bit of garlic freeze into small cubes and it’s ready to feed

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my recipe is this:
frozen bag of mixed RAW seafood. shrimp, octopus a cpl other the fish dont like one of them need to fid out what it is.
reef chili
NLS pellets (wish I could just get my fish in these )
nori
some times a few pinches of flake food too.

blend it all up and put in to the silicone trays. easy to get out of the trays, love em.

about to make more as I am about out. need to fish a better bag of frozen seafood...

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are some of your recipes?
i plan on buying fresh seafoods and then blending them and then freezing them.
ive read from one of the threads inspired by Paul B that its better to buy fresh and then freezing it. or something like that.
My BEST & Most helpful Tips ARE:
1. Make smaller batches.
2. Start simpler & increase batch size & add each time. ie: 2 weeks worth then a month then 3 months etc. or whatever u want.
3. Get the frozen protiens and after following the next steps.. & you have a tiny bit of each ready.. take 10 flakes or so & go put in tsnk to see if they even eat it. Mone liked scsllops best & wouldnt touch tuna. Once theyre mixed.. youll never know what they are or arent eating.
3a. Even if going simple... At a minimum add liquid aminos & or selcon & also super eggs to the mix. The tiny fish & coral polyps.. love those.
4. NO KNIVES OR PROCESSORS Just use a small plank or cowbell grater & the first size up from the dots... & use on large plastic or shiny disposable plates. 1 for each main protein. Keeping everything in freezer until you take a few pieces out at a time and grate onto the plate. Then within 2 minutes stick that plate w flakes and the source pieces back in the freezer & start another.
They mix nice while fully frozen but once warmed up.. its wet unmixable mush
5. Wear gloves.. save hands from the smell & niks/cuts.
6. Lay out all dry quantities seperate b4 mixing in case u have less of one or you change mind. But then mix dry and add liquids & mix and mix in frozen last.
7. Fold up the nori into many layers and pinch & twist to get lots of small flakes fast.
8. Use quart freezer bags ..fill.. ..close..and then press.. slam..flip.. repeat make an ⅛ inch thick even sheet. With no air in the bag and seal. They stack & store easy & pinching the outside of bag breaks off lil pieces u shake into feeding cup & take to tank.. press against side of cup while frozen with the flat handle end of a plastic knife & now when it is dropped into to the return flow or top gyre flow it broadcasts nicely.
All i got for now..
Im sure i forgot something. Good luck.
PS. WHAT IS the 1 frozen protien each of you has seen work best / eaten most?
Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back