Homemade fish food

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, today I decided the make my own food for my fish. Fresh shrimp, scallops and squid with some nori, beta glucan and vitamins mixed with a bit of water. The only problem is after I ran it in the nutribullet for about 30 seconds it basically became a paste. They ate it, but it’s did not dispense well in the water column.

who else makes their own fresh food and what is the secret to having a deliverable product for the fish to eat? Also, do you add any freeze dried or other food to your recipe.

thanks.

OP
OP
T

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was thinking using a grinder might be the solution. Or a few pulses of a dedicated food processor. First attempt at it and the result is that I now have a ziploc bag full of “fish paste” lol.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paste is fine but you forgot to freeze it before feeding it. I put mine in ziploc bags then break off a section put it in a glass of tank water stir with a fork until it is small size chunks and thawed out.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was thinking using a grinder might be the solution. Or a few pulses of a dedicated food processor. First attempt at it and the result is that I now have a ziploc bag full of “fish paste” lol.
just freeze the fish etc separately then grate it, you can get all different sizes of graters, once grated mix together, the trick is to try and keep it all frozen when you make it, makes it a lot easier and stops it turning to mush.

A lot of ice cubes in a tray/bowl and mix it together over that.

OP
OP
T

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just freeze the fish etc separately then grate it, you can get all different sizes of graters, once grated mix together, the trick is to try and keep it all frozen when you make it, makes it a lot easier and stops it turning to mush.

Thank you

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

only quoting for emphasis…
….You might wanna check out Asian food marts for mixed bags of seafood; way cheaper and more different stuff…
but make sure you check out the ingredients as sometimes the mussels, et are cooked; avoid those

OP
OP
T

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only quoting for emphasis…
….You might wanna check out Asian food marts for mixed bags of seafood; way cheaper and more different stuff…
but make sure you check out the ingredients as sometimes the mussels, et are cooked; avoid those
Thank you. I asked the local seafood market if they did that and unfortunately not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back