DIY Kalkwasser mixing bucket

GlassCityReefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2018
Messages
100
Reaction score
79
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I made this bucket for mixing up Kalkwasser solution. I put a 1 1/4” hole in the bucket with a hole saw put in a half inch bulkhead added a nipple a ball valve and an elbow. I leak tested it and works great.
The reasoning behind doing this is I have limited space under my display and I don’t want to take the chance of my pump accidentally picking up the slurry on the bottom of the ato reservoir. By mixing my Kalkwasser in a 5 gallon bucket I can just pull off the clear solution above the slurry the hole in the bucket is 2 inches from the bottom, and not disturb the film on top trying to get the clear solution out, to put in the reservoir I put under my display. Is my thinking right or did I choose poorly and there is a better way to handle it?

879B03FE-6A3C-41DC-A886-D706CD46273B.jpeg


2F3E96F5-6410-475E-A876-67B42501252B.jpeg
 
I did something very similar some years ago as a ATO reservoir, using kalkwasser. This was for a much smaller tank of mine.

I added some bulkheads and tubing in the side to visually see how much water was in it.

IMG_20190222_154835.jpg


Are you planning on using it as a ATO reservoir?
 
Nice.
No it is only for mixing because the bucket doesn’t fit under my display tank. I am just going to empty it into that reservoir
 
Nice job
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new