Now you got me curious to see if mine is indeed 97%
I’ll check mine and see what the label says later on tonight

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was supposed to get 97% but when I opened up, it was 94%. I dosed 7ml by accident and I do not think it will matter. My tank is about clear after about 30 minutes.

82e3fa912accc0de1c19f62609204770.jpg

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

My tank is just about clear after about 50 minutes or so.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
checked my tank this morning, the water is sparkling. So sparkling that I raised my T5 fixture up to as high as it can go...about 11.5" over the water surface.

JohnnyTabasco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is super old. But I hope some one with more brains than me can say something clever about this.
KZ now stats that coral snow contains "CalciumMagnesium Carbonate"

"Coral Snow contains among others a natural CalciumMagnesium Carbonate. By SPS corals can absorb this, we offer2.5 μ optimal size for absorption."

That's different from what is written in this guide - or am I wrong?

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is super old. But I hope some one with more brains than me can say something clever about this.

"Coral Snow contains among others a natural CalciumMagnesium Carbonate. By SPS corals can absorb this, we offer2.5 μ optimal size for absorption."

Essentially the same as the original post. Remember we are not trying to dissolve anything into the water, just provide a medium for the "dirt" to attach to.

I've used the formula as provided in the opening post as recently as two weeks ago and it really does the same job for a fraction of the price.

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is no such thing as "CalciumMagnesium Carbonate", they are two separate compounds, calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. Magnesium carbonate is an impurity commonly found in chalks, so it's not something they have added, it is simply something they cannot remove.

JohnnyTabasco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially the same as the original post. Remember we are not trying to dissolve anything into the water, just provide a medium for the "dirt" to attach to.

I've used the formula as provided in the opening post as recently as two weeks ago and it really does the same job for a fraction of the price.

I tried both and maybe the particle size was too big in my DIY batch - it was quiet dusty and grained.
They claim that there is Magnesium in it as well, is there any reason why that is left out of this recipe?

JohnnyTabasco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such thing as "CalciumMagnesium Carbonate", they are two separate compounds, calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. Magnesium carbonate is an impurity commonly found in chalks, so it's not something they have added, it is simply something they cannot remove.
Okay I take back my question then. :)
Any thoughts on the size of the particles?

ScottF83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both and maybe the particle size was too big in my DIY batch - it was quiet dusty and grained.
They claim that there is Magnesium in it as well, is there any reason why that is left out of this recipe?
Like the guy above says, it's just an impurity. Not an essential component. What purity did you use?

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I take back my question then. :)
Any thoughts on the size of the particles?
I doubt there is any difference between what you have and what is in the KZ bottle. They will both perform the same function, though, so even if it were 10 times the particle size it's still small enough to do the job, so I would not worry about it :)

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ratio mixed need to exact?

I used a 250ml bottle, added 115g, maybe just over, but could only squeeze in about 225ml of ro. Please tell me that’s close enough. Lol

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ratio mixed need to exact?

I used a 250ml bottle, added 115g, maybe just over, but could only squeeze in about 225ml of ro. Please tell me that’s close enough. Lol

It's fine because there's no hard rule on dosage for KZ Snow.

However, in general, it's better to add powders to liquid rather than the other way around, with a bottle that has a decent amount of extra volume too.

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes, for some reason I thought it didn’t matter and in this instance I assume I was ok as there is nothing to precipitate out, although, whose yo say I don’t have a massive clump at the bottom of the bottle as it’s not a clear bottle. Either way, should be ok this time.
Put my first dose in and worried for a bit about my first but watching YouTube vids of coral snow in bed relaxed me. Won’t see lights on until later (18 hours). Hoping for more skimmate to.
Any one add anything to it before dosing, either Kz or other?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back