DIY led anyone tried it?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is relatively easy to burn up a strand of leds. Take your time and make sure all your soldering connections are making proper contact with the plates. when you are testing your current I would take the wires from your leds and wire nut them to the leads on your multimeter. Make sure all your connections are well secured before turning on your power. Do not remove or adjust any connections while the power is on. if you are running meanwell drivers make sure you have at least 8 leds connected or it will run in safe mode. If you set your MA below 1000 your leds will last longer. Don't try to adjust your MA without a meter, the set screw is very sensitive and it is easy to set it too high. If your MA is too high your Leds will flash slowly. If you are using optics it works well to screw a piece of 1/4" acrilic to your heat sinks to hold the lenses on that way you don't have to glue them. It will also protect your leds. Hope this info helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Good advice that should be taken! But for people that do not have the skills to do soldering the use of solderless connectors and carlco optics make building a fixture something that almost anyone can do without burning up a bunch of Led's. The additional cost IMO is well worth the better looking and flawless operation of doing a fixture with these parts that make it very safe and easy to assemble.
After trying both methods i highly reccomend the less handy person to use the solderless route if you can afford the added cost. It also helps to use all the same type Led's so all your optics can be the same type and you get a uniform look and spread from your light.
Welcome to MTRC Udle and it's alway's nice to have an electrician in the group, Look foward to meeting you in person.
Bill

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%

Back