DIY led anyone tried it?

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are about a million threads about this stuff but I wanted to know if anyone around here has done it. It sounds pretty easy I have done some soldering/ circuit projects before. I just wanted to see how long it took you? How much of a pain was it? Are you happy with it ? If I screw it up will I burn down my place? I just see the cost difference between the DIY and fixtures like the ai sol, and the difference is astounding if I do the work. Thanks in advance

Morgan

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well bill, Brandon and I have done it. But with me I'm not a good DIY guy. The cost was more then the fixtures I have now at the end. But this was last yearf.if you don't burn or pop the led or blow ballast then it would be a good way to go. also with me I didn't have time to mess with it.

Maybe bill (poolkeeper) or Brandon can give a lil more info

Oh can't forget Rick also did his own LEDs also

Last edited:

lovemyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morgan, I built my lighting system. I have a 90 gallon cube and I did a 3 watt cree system that consists of 42 bulbs and 3 drivers. If you have some basic soldering and wiring skills you can knock it out in no time.

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there some yellow and red in those lights at AC Rick?? If so, why are those colors important?

Travis D.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there some yellow and red in those lights at AC Rick?? If so, why are those colors important?

Travis D.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. its all white and blues. Now some of the whites kinda look yellow because ok their color temperature. I think most are using reds to emphasize certain coral colors.

Did you guys used drilled and tapped heatsinks or did you use the adhesive ?

The one at the critter that bill built he screwed the leds to the rail. My personal one I built is the artic silver adhesive paste. It was really easy to use the adhrasive.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The colors like red are not important but Red light will bring out the greens in your tank. If you have any decorative green or even nuisance algae in your tank, it will look it's best under light with plenty of red in it. This does little for coral growth. You can run your tank with pure actinic LEDs. White LED's are just to bring out the color of the tank while still benefiting coral growth.

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya im just trying to plan things out Im just afraid that this is gonna be 4 th grade bird house all over again , in my head the design is perfect but the finished product nothing but a pile of popsicle sticks and glue .........

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya im just trying to plan things out Im just afraid that this is gonna be 4 th grade bird house all over again , in my head the design is perfect but the finished product nothing but a pile of popsicle sticks and glue .........
If you want get in touch with me and come look at the last fixture i built and see if you like my design and use of components. I am very happy with my current fixture and my SPS growth is amazing along with great color and overall Cost of operation. The only drawback IMO is initial cost of all the components is very exspensive to build along with many many hours of DIY to accomplish. Having said this it depends on the desire to save in the long run weather you take this plunge of Cash to build a quality fixture that will last for many years.
Shoot me a PM if you want to take a look.
Bill

Tony F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my JBJ Nano LED intermediate to a cree 3W pro (Plus). 18 royal blue XP-E's / 6 cool white XP-G mixed @ 700 mA and 6 cool white XP-G @ 1050 mA for high noon effect. Replaced the heat sink, drilled it myself and used self tapping screws. did all my own soldering. First attempt, was not difficult. If you have any handyman skills go for it, read up, plan ahead, go slowly. BTW I also replaced two stock fans with four 60 mm Vantecs, and added two 120 mm's above the heat sink (overkill is my middle name). Noticeably quieter than the stock set up.

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank that's it's for is going to be a 40 breeder , I don't need anything crazy I just need to go soft corals mainly, but maybe a few birds nest. How many would I need to get a good spread of 18 k is light some say 24 some say 26 . What would you say?

Tony F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This webb site has a lot of good info........

Last edited by a moderator:

Udle42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY Led T5 combo fixture

Hello all. I am new to the forum, but am very excited about the reef club. I saw this thread and thought I would share. I am new to the aquarium hobby and am excited to learn all I can. I bought my tank off of someone about 3 months ago, and wanted to upgrade the fixture. I am an electrician, and thought I would try making my own fixture. The difference is amazing between this fixture and my old one. The other was 4 compact fluorescents and 2 250w metal halides.

Attachments

• IMAG0783.jpg
    IMAG0783.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0784.jpg
    IMAG0784.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0827.jpg
    IMAG0827.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG0825.jpg
    IMAG0825.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG0815.jpg
    IMAG0815.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 108

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a kit for my girls 29 gal so we are now going to be in the LED club

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Udle that looks awesome , I'm glad to here you found the mtrc it's and awesome group of guys/gals that have some of the best know or marine biology anywhere some of these guys can give the Phd's I work with a run for their money !!! your an electrician any tips when building these so I don't burn my lab down?

Udle42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time

Udle that looks awesome , I'm glad to here you found the mtrc it's and awesome group of guys/gals that have some of the best know or marine biology anywhere some of these guys can give the Phd's I work with a run for their money !!! your an electrician any tips when building these so I don't burn my lab down?

It is relatively easy to burn up a strand of leds. Take your time and make sure all your soldering connections are making proper contact with the plates. when you are testing your current I would take the wires from your leds and wire nut them to the leads on your multimeter. Make sure all your connections are well secured before turning on your power. Do not remove or adjust any connections while the power is on. if you are running meanwell drivers make sure you have at least 8 leds connected or it will run in safe mode. If you set your MA below 1000 your leds will last longer. Don't try to adjust your MA without a meter, the set screw is very sensitive and it is easy to set it too high. If your MA is too high your Leds will flash slowly. If you are using optics it works well to screw a piece of 1/4" acrilic to your heat sinks to hold the lenses on that way you don't have to glue them. It will also protect your leds. Hope this info helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back