DIY LED for Nano SPS Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biglurr54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Biglurr54

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2017
Messages
986
Reaction score
432
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 6 gallon tank at my desk. (approximately 24x8x8) Its will be tied into my main system for stability. I need some help with working out the lights for the tank. I will be doing a DIY LED fixture due to the odd size. 24 long but 8 wide and 8 deep. I was thinking of doing 4x warm white, 5x Luxeon Cool Blue, 5x Luxeon Royal Blue, and 5x Hyper violets. This would be on an 18" heat sink. I would like to have the light mounted at the ceiling and spot light the tank. This would be about 48" from the ceiling to the bottom of the tank. What degree optics would I need to spot light the tank and keep light spill minimized?

Also is that an appropriate array of LEDS for for coloration of SPS?
 
Start w/ arranging the diodes in a 2x18 center to center pattern.
So really 2 rows 10 columns.
Ideally you would use 36 diodes to keep the density equal in both directions..
Bothersome that you have 1 per inch in one dimension but 1 per 1.8" in the other.. but not horrible.
I evened it out a bit .. 10 of each color.. so 40 total
2 rows of 10.

you want to cover 24x 8 at approx the water line
So assume about 40"

So you have 3" extension needed on the 18" side.
9-ish degrees...;)

https://store.marinebeam.com/beam-angle-calculator-1/
Only diodes you need to be concerned with is the edge ones.. rest will fall into place
@ 40" and 9 degrees spot diameter is 6.3"

3.15 + 18 + 3.15 = 24.3
3.15 + 2 + 3.15 = 8.3

JUST a START (and admitting that it is not "exactly correct, more of a ballpark start.).
A bit pricy but listed as glass (good thing)
They have 5 degree AFAICT and others but I'm not going to dig for the 10 ones.. :)
Amazon product ASIN B07D9DTLZG
 
Last edited:
If it were me,I would do 4 clusters 6" apart consisting of ww,mint,4 royal blues,1 cyan,1 cool blue and 2 violets 390-400 and 430.

Even coverage,no hot spots and even light and par.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new