DIY Mag-Rock

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been planning to do this for a while now. Finally getting around to it.

Not bad for a first try.

Materials:

Eggcrate - Free (already had a sheet)
Pond Foam - $7-8 at Home Depot or Lowes (note: Lowes employees can be ignorant and send you in the wrong direction)
Rock Rubble - Free (already had some)
Zip ties - $.80 (maybe!)
Big Magfloat - Free (thanks Ray!)
Sand - Free (thanks Dennis!)

Steps:
1. I cut the eggcrate to give me a bit of "skeleton"
2. Zip tie eggcrate around the magnet
3. I placed the magnet on a piece of 1/2" plywood and used the other half of the magnet on the other side. This helped hold it down to keep the foam from lifting the magnet up off the plywood. I also laid wax paper down to keep it from sticking too much.
4. Spray foam - be gentle. It doesn't seem to fill much, but it does expand quite a bit as it sets up. I made sure to push some of the foam through the eggcrate structures as well. You can repeat this process if it doesn't fill in the first time.
5. Sprinkle sand over the foam JUST after spraying. It forms a "skin" pretty quickly, so be quick about it.
6. Test it out after 24-48 hours! (I'm hoping mine works, we'll see tomorrow!)

Pics (or it didn't happen, right?):
photo5-3.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo2-12.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

I'm gonna let it cure out a bit more and then I'll test it out in some water tomorrow night to see how buoyant it is. It may need some more rock to hold it down. Just have to see!

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great idea. Have you had experience with the foam? As far as water parameter changing or leaching? I will be trying this. Now go to lumber and get your plumbing parts. I mean go to plumbing and get your lumber. I mean just go to home depot.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge problem Ronnie this I can share from experience.... That thing is gonna float bud:( hate to say it man but I have built a few arches out of the stuff it is totally reef safe no worries there but I made a couple little arches about that size and I had to put a 10lb rock on it to keep it down lol.... So basically what I'm saying is I don't think a mag float is gonna hold that thing man you prolly need to start slicing and dicing it to where there is very little foam...:sad: sorry man.... Might want to try it before you get any more involved in it....

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is my major concern, too. I stuck some rock in it, but I just don't know if it'll be enough or not. I do plan to test it in a rubbermaid first for sure.

I can always start carving, though. And if it fails, it fails. I can always just peel it off the magfloat and try something else.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back