DIY Magnetic Frag Racks

twerdine92

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 16, 2018
Messages
244
Reaction score
145
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m in need of some nice frag racks... problem is I need a lot of them. I need about seven 48-60 hole magnetic frag racks. Several corner and several straight.

I wanted to go the Zen Reef route, problem is they wouldn’t ship for about a month due to backorder... along with needing about $400 worth of racks.

Any suggestions or ideas on how I can DIY my own magnetic racks. Black acrylic is the way I want to go

I do not want to go the egg crate way... I already have 7 of them in the tank with suction cups and I do not want them anymore.
 
I've seen people use egg crates, zip ties, and mag floats. But, for what you're looking for, that will be a lot of mag floats haha.

lol! I'd need so many mag floats. Wouldn't be a bad idea if I could find a bunch pre owned lol
 
There are also other acrylic encased magnet on Amazon. I bought some for a similar project. Also pretty good but not quite as strong as Octo aquatics. I'll take a look quick and see if I can find those. A little cheaper.
 
I’m making my own coral shelves and frag racks now.
Am cutting shelf rock from larger pieces with Gryphon band saw, then epoxy and gluing plastic coated earth magnets, made for reef tanks from K&J magnets, into the back flat and dremmeled out areas of the rock .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new