DIY Media Basket for Fluval 13.5

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure many of us know that the InTank media baskets look and work amazing but as a Canadian, they cost me $100+ (I think the amazon.ca InTank provider is asking $130!) and I rather not spend that much for beauty.

There are some YouTube videos out there about making DIY baskets but I was wondering if anyone here has made one? Could you share your ideas and results? My tank has been up for 4 ish months and I think the filter sponge needs to be replaced with something more long term

Thanks!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure many of us know that the InTank media baskets look and work amazing but as a Canadian, they cost me $100+ (I think the amazon.ca InTank provider is asking $130!) and I rather not spend that much for beauty.

There are some YouTube videos out there about making DIY baskets but I was wondering if anyone here has made one? Could you share your ideas and results? My tank has been up for 4 ish months and I think the filter sponge needs to be replaced with something more long term

Thanks!

even better. and won’t cost you $100+!!!!

https://octoaquatics.com/octo-fuge/

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a fluval evo and the first thing I did wad bin the foam from chamber 2, and the floss in the return pump as I could not be bothered to take that out every few days to clean that (poor design). I then put biohome media in chamber 2 with the heater and blocked the small slot in the back wall. Then made a filter floss holder that blocks the top 4 slots between camber 1+2 so the water has to go through the floss. That is all I'm running on the tank, no extra flow pumps. Just all stock lighting and return pump. Also I use natural sea water. The link should take you to my YouTube video.

Screenshot_20181212-235559.png
DSC_1824.JPG

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the media basket or make it your self? Looks very nice!

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the media basket or make it your self? Looks very nice!
I made it from a piece of black plastic I had left over from a job at work cut to size then folded it and drilled the holes for the water to go through. The plastic is only 1.5mm thick and with the help of a hair dryer and some blocks of wood it folds really easily.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a fluval evo and the first thing I did wad bin the foam from chamber 2, and the floss in the return pump as I could not be bothered to take that out every few days to clean that (poor design). I then put biohome media in chamber 2 with the heater and blocked the small slot in the back wall. Then made a filter floss holder that blocks the top 4 slots between camber 1+2 so the water has to go through the floss. That is all I'm running on the tank, no extra flow pumps. Just all stock lighting and return pump. Also I use natural sea water. The link should take you to my YouTube video.

Screenshot_20181212-235559.png
DSC_1824.JPG

The water in the video looks a little cloudy as I had only just done a water change about 10 minutes before.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back