DIY micro/mason jar reef tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter geddavis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

geddavis

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2018
Messages
519
Reaction score
306
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into making a micro reef tank around a gallon. I know there are a lot of problems to solve to do this, however I am a passionate reefer and as I leave for school abroad I want to continue this hobby in a scaled down form. My idea is a 1 gallon jar a 5 gallon heater (the smallest I could find) a 20 gph power head and a homage led on a timer. I want to have a super easy reef with a invert or 2 and some hardy soft corals eg zoas gsp and Zeina. My plan is to have a system that needs at most one water change a month. For nutrient export and import I will have a ball of cheato and feed the tank a tiny bit of farmed copepods once a month. I would also have a small pore sponge on the inlet of the power head. I plan on doing some minimal dosing. I just want to know what you think because I want to make sure I can successfully keep these amazing animals and keep them happy. Also if you have ideas for stocking I would love to hear them.
 
I was looking into making a micro reef tank around a gallon. I know there are a lot of problems to solve to do this, however I am a passionate reefer and as I leave for school abroad I want to continue this hobby in a scaled down form. My idea is a 1 gallon jar a 5 gallon heater (the smallest I could find) a 20 gph power head and a homage led on a timer. I want to have a super easy reef with a invert or 2 and some hardy soft corals eg zoas gsp and Zeina. My plan is to have a system that needs at most one water change a month. For nutrient export and import I will have a ball of cheato and feed the tank a tiny bit of farmed copepods once a month. I would also have a small pore sponge on the inlet of the power head. I plan on doing some minimal dosing. I just want to know what you think because I want to make sure I can successfully keep these amazing animals and keep them happy. Also if you have ideas for stocking I would love to hear them.
Reminded me of these...
 
I'd skip the chaeto and just do a weekly water change. The smallest I kept was a 5 gallon and I just changed 2 Solo cups worth weekly. No other kind of export.

Don't forget about top off, these small tanks will have big swings.

I kept, mushrooms, zoa's and a dunkin
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new