DIY nitrate dosing

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to start dosing a DIY solution for my 25 gallon sps dominant reef. I bought 2LBS of sodium nitrate, I would like to make 1 gallon of solution. My question is how much sodium nitrate powder should i add to the 1 gallon of RODI?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to start dosing a DIY solution for my 25 gallon sps dominant reef. I bought 2LBS of sodium nitrate, I would like to make 1 gallon of solution. My question is how much sodium nitrate powder should i add to the 1 gallon of RODI?
I’d use this calculator and the entry for nitrate from potassium nitrate (it is close enough)

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in dosing nitrates as well, would it be recommended to utilize potassium nitrate, or sodium nitrate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in dosing nitrates as well, would it be recommended to utilize potassium nitrate, or sodium nitrate?

Sodium or calcium nitrate. Potassium will generally rise excessively and since most folks do not regularly measure it, it can easily get out of control.

Calcium nitrate is a balanced alk and calcium addition method.

Sodium is already far and away the most prevalent cation in seawater, and small changes to it are insignificant.

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium or calcium nitrate. Potassium will generally rise excessively and since most folks do not regularly measure it, it can easily get out of control.

Calcium nitrate is a balanced alk and calcium addition method.

Sodium is already far and away the most prevalent cation in seawater, and small changes to it are insignificant.
I appreciate the information! Since my tank consists of only soft coral I imagine long-term use of calcium would probably be detrimental. Looks like I'll opt for sodium, thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the information! Since my tank consists of only soft coral I imagine long-term use of calcium would probably be detrimental. Looks like I'll opt for sodium, thanks!

Your welcome. Use the James planted tank calculator and the entry for nitrate from potassium nitrate. It is close enough to sodium nitrate.

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome. Use the James planted tank calculator and the entry for nitrate from potassium nitrate. It is close enough to sodium nitrate.
Appreciate the assistance again! Do you have a specific product that you would recommend?

I have previously purchased from loudwolf to do phosphates dosing and silicates but I can't sodium nitrate.. what other manufacturer(s) do you recommend?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the assistance again! Do you have a specific product that you would recommend?

I have previously purchased from loudwolf to do phosphates dosing and silicates but I can't sodium nitrate.. what other manufacturer(s) do you recommend?

I’d dose food grade sodium or calcium nitrate. I’d check at Amazon.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back