DIY protein skimmer

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my 55 gallon reef tank I’m to cheap to buy a skimmer so I thought I would make my own so I’ll keep you guys updated on how it’s going

Andnosobabin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my 55 gallon reef tank I’m to cheap to buy a skimmer so I thought I would make my own so I’ll keep you guys updated on how it’s going
Have you decided on what style You're going to make? What is your current tank setup. I'm considering making my own as well so I def would like to collaborate or at least follow this thread.

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you decided on what style You're going to make? What is your current tank setup. I'm considering making my own as well so I def would like to collaborate or at least follow this thread.

Well I’m in the process of getting the tank up and running after I build the skimmer and I get my filter socks I’m then building the sump so I know I’ll have room for everything but I was thinking of using a 2 liter bottle for the skimmer and maybe we can share ideas to get a good working skimmer

Andnosobabin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m in the process of getting the tank up and running after I build the skimmer and I get my filter socks I’m then building the sump so I know I’ll have room for everything but I was thinking of using a 2 liter bottle for the skimmer and maybe we can share ideas to get a good working skimmer
How big is the tank you plan on using?
I got a 125 given to me and my only thought was building what I've seen talked about in the aquatics systems engineering book using pvc. Though tbh I'm buying my first skimmer and then will prolly experiment with other ideas. I assume the bottle is to use as a cone shaped neck. What are you going to use for bubble creation?

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank you plan on using?
I got a 125 given to me and my only thought was building what I've seen talked about in the aquatics systems engineering book using pvc. Though tbh I'm buying my first skimmer and then will prolly experiment with other ideas. I assume the bottle is to use as a cone shaped neck. What are you going to use for bubble creation?

I have a 55 gallon display and a 20 gallon sump and I have a small rio 1100 pump that I’m going to use for my skimmer

Andnosobabin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon display and a 20 gallon sump and I have a small rio 1100 pump that I’m going to use for my skimmer
Not familiar with those. Is this a venturi design or are you going to use bubble stones or what?

Andnosobabin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to be a Venturi design I think air stones are much less effective
From my understanding it depends on application. If your trying to get maximum bombardment and dwell times in the shortest possible design then venturi and needle wheel setups rock but I've read that the taller counter current systems with bubble stones work too good. The store bought skimmer I've had on my 55 is a venturi and it works great and is quite tiny rly. In my mind I want to try 3 types on my 125. A 5' counter current with bubble stones, 2x 28" counter current with bubble stones and ran in series, and a 20" but fat and using a venturi and needle wheel and see whichever I like better or is easier/more practical.

Andnosobabin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current skimmer and can you draw out your plans for the other ones too
I don't at the moment. I completely forget what brand the one I have now is. I can get that info tomorrow when I get off work. Far as designs go Im still doing more research on the 3rd design.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of figuring out if it's worth making a skimmer myself. I would want an external skimmer. My set is 100gal total.

Andnosobabin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of figuring out if it's worth making a skimmer myself. I would want an external skimmer. My set is 100gal total.
That's pretty much my setup as well as goal. I'm buying a eshopps sump/fuge combo cuz frankly I'm impatient but I want an external skimmer to keep things neat and more accessible. What is your ideas on a diy skimmer. I believe you and I were on another thread talking about skimmers correct?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about trying acrylic for the body of mine.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much my setup as well as goal. I'm buying a eshopps sump/fuge combo cuz frankly I'm impatient but I want an external skimmer to keep things neat and more accessible. What is your ideas on a diy skimmer. I believe you and I were on another thread talking about skimmers correct?

Not sure but probably

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking something like this. I don't know how big to make it through and I'm not sure how the top is made. The skimmer I would buy is rated for a 190gal heavy bio load that's what I would be shooting for. I can go 22 to 23 inches max for the height.

IMG_3990.PNG

Andnosobabin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but probably
You posted on pvc and acrylic fittings if I'm not mistaken.

Aside from the body what design are you thinking of? Also why acrylic? Curious cuz when I was looking around acrylic was expensive and trying to find equivalent fittings sounded more work than needed in my mind. I did find some alternatives tho.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back