DIY Questions.....

rcillig

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
173
Reaction score
169
Location
Omaha
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only made a few very basic stands to this point. I'm trying to make a step up in quality with this current stand I'm starting. A few questions I want to make the sides removable and was thinking of either dowels or magnets, pros or cons for either? Should I glue and screw the stand or just screws, is there any benefit of doing it one way or the other? Finally, what does everyone think of covering the back of the stand with just a hole for stuff to run through? Will that increase humidity or reduce evaporation?
 
When making stands with wood I always use screws AND wood glue (Titebond 3 or 2. 3 is supposed to be more water resistant/proof, but I find it stains the wood/is harder for finishing if you don’t clean up squeeze out quickly (maybe I’m crazy)). For removable sides I would probably do magnets for ease of removal and for the fact there is no mechanical connection to fail. My current stand has a sold back with two holes in it. . . Aesthetically I like the look (when the stand is open. . . Which is rare) but it adds some challenges to cord management for sure!!!

Hope that helps!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new