DIY Red Sea ATO Container Conversion to Shelf

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted this in my build thread, but thought I’d post it here.

So almost everyone has a Red Sea ATO container sitting around because they aren’t big enough and are in the way... I repurposed mine into a new shelf! If will eventually hold my ATS, but here is the
finished product!

THE PLAN...
1580656775956.jpeg

THE TOOLS...
1580656889600.jpeg

THE FINISHED PRODUCT...
1580656943433.jpeg

1580656974030.jpeg

Rspsturgis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted this in my build thread, but thought I’d post it here.

So almost everyone has a Red Sea ATO container sitting around because they aren’t big enough and are in the way... I repurposed mine into a new shelf! If will eventually hold my ATS, but here is the
finished product!

THE PLAN...
1580656775956.jpeg

THE TOOLS...
1580656889600.jpeg

THE FINISHED PRODUCT...
1580656943433.jpeg

1580656974030.jpeg
Very smart. What is the glass cutting tool you used? How do you stay level/ straight assuming it’s free-handed? Thanks!

DesertReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good use of unused space. I have XL 525, a similar sump. I'm still in the setup stage, working on the plumbing and utilizing your manifold as a starting point.

Questions regarding your manifold.

The vertical pipe from the first stage of the sump leading out of the cabinet, what is this connected too?

It looks like your UV light looks likes it plumbed from your main return pump, back through the manifold and then into the return up pipe. Do you have any issues with two feeds conflicting as they merge into the main up pipe?

Nice setup.

OP
OP
Whip

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good use of unused space. I have XL 525, a similar sump. I'm still in the setup stage, working on the plumbing and utilizing your manifold as a starting point.

Questions regarding your manifold.

The vertical pipe from the first stage of the sump leading out of the cabinet, what is this connected too?

It looks like your UV light looks likes it plumbed from your main return pump, back through the manifold and then into the return up pipe. Do you have any issues with two feeds conflicting as they merge into the main up pipe?

Nice setup.

The first pipe is fake. It is a conduit that holds the tubing for Fresh Saltwater Feed and ATO Feed.

I’m not sure if I am answering your question right, so let me know...

My return pump feeds the main return AND the manifold. Flow is balanced and monitored through both. If you are asking if it is difficult to maintain balance between the two? No. It’s set it and forget it. Here is a good representation of how stable it is...

1581178191330.png

I am running my UV at a very slow flow rate and the flow to each vessel (UV and DT) is very stable. I am, however, running a VarioS 8. Prior to powering up the UV, it was on setting 2 of 5. To push an extra 135 gph, I had to boost the pump up to level 3 of 5.

I you get a chance, check out my build thread. I detailed a lot of this in there.

let me know if this answers your question.

Firstreef20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first pipe is fake. It is a conduit that holds the tubing for Fresh Saltwater Feed and ATO Feed.

I’m not sure if I am answering your question right, so let me know...

My return pump feeds the main return AND the manifold. Flow is balanced and monitored through both. If you are asking if it is difficult to maintain balance between the two? No. It’s set it and forget it. Here is a good representation of how stable it is...

1581178191330.png

I am running my UV at a very slow flow rate and the flow to each vessel (UV and DT) is very stable. I am, however, running a VarioS 8. Prior to powering up the UV, it was on setting 2 of 5. To push an extra 135 gph, I had to boost the pump up to level 3 of 5.

I you get a chance, check out my build thread. I detailed a lot of this in there.

let me know if this answers your question.
Can you post your build thread cause I keep scrolling your profile and I can find it

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back