DIY Refug

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'd like to add a refugium with DSB and grow algae to remove nutrients, but my sump isn't really big enough or set up for it. Was thinking of adding a 20-30 gallon rubbermaid, directing the overflows into that, and bulk heading it to the main sump.

Haven't seen anything like that, and I keep coming across conflicting accounts of proper location in the chain of water flow (before/after skimmer/return pump/etc).
Why don’t you look at putting in a trigger systems crystal sumps it’s 18in by 18in, it should fit and it has room for a fuge and a skimmer section

OP
OP
BedrockIOMC

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the icecapk50? I had that hanging on my JBJ45 AIO before I added a overflow and a Triiger systems crystal cube sump
Yeah it is, love that little skimmer. Wish the cup was bigger but glad it has a drain port for a external drain bucket. Been a really great one for about 3 months now. How long did you use it? Have any issues?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion: move to an external auto top off and use the top off container you have for the refugium. That is if it can be drilled.

If not, put a small container where it is that can put a refugium in there.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is, love that little skimmer. Wish the cup was bigger but glad it has a drain port for a external drain bucket. Been a really great one for about 3 months now. How long did you use it? Have any issues?
No I didn’t except that since I actually had it hanging the pump kept falling off.
But when I installed the sump ( which should installed into your guys stand as well I went and bought a bigger skimmer

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back