DIY refugium?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone built themselves a DIY refugium out of household items? A local reefer is giving me some chaeto but I have no place to really put it, I have the Red Sea 170 so there’s just not that much space in the sump between my skimmer and mechanical filtration

Wondering if anyones come up with some good ideas for a small refugium, maybe Tupperware with holes drilled in it for flow that will keep the chaeto in?

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, I used to grow macro algae in the first section of my sump. I started dosing microbacter clean weekly and the nutrients dropped so low that I don’t bother with cheato anymore.

There is a video on coral euphoria about building a bucket fuge . Maybe you could try something like that on a smaller scale.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, I used to grow macro algae in the first section of my sump. I started dosing microbacter clean weekly and the nutrients dropped so low that I don’t bother with cheato anymore.

There is a video on coral euphoria about building a bucket fuge . Maybe you could try something like that on a smaller scale.

I’ll have a look thank you! I currently run GFO and a skimmer but still can’t seem to keep the nutrients down so last resort lol

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a box made with eggcrate held together with tiewraps?
That’s what I was thinking with the Tupperware box. One large enough with holes poked in both sides should allow flow through in and out, without the chaeto escaping. Stick a lid on it, put it in a high flow area in the sump. Holes can be pretty big, chaeto shouldn’t get through.

Unsure.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes u can drill a lot of holes in a tupaware np.
U can also zip tie together an eggcrate box as mentioned.
I would drill a hole in something decent sized and use a small auto top off pump and some hose. I would pump the water into the container and let the hole drain back out into the sump. U can attach a bulkhead and a downpipe with pvc...
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's basically screen that high light penetrates. Its ruffed up screen. You flow water down it like a waterfall and it grows algae to eat up leftover nutrients ur skimmer or other filtration methods don't pick up.
+ it grows on the screen in a controlled area vs. Your display tank. Lol.
D

Last edited:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s what I was thinking with the Tupperware box. One large enough with holes poked in both sides should allow flow through in and out, without the chaeto escaping. Stick a lid on it, put it in a high flow area in the sump. Holes can be pretty big, chaeto shouldn’t get through.

Unsure.
I've seen people throw chaeto in a breeder box with a light over it. I've never done it so not sure how well it works, but I imagine it would do the job.

maybe something like this:

(FYI not my listing, just something I found online)

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive even seen it thrown into a tiny hampster ball and dropped into the sump like the skimmer compartment where it wont get sucked into the skimmer.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always plumb in a 5 gallon bucket. I've seen that done a few times. Low power light. One of the vendors sells sumbergable that would work.

john92708

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the DIY algae scrubber, it's more efficient then chaeto in my experience

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unsure.

If smaller holes are prefferable another cheap option but a little bit more work is plastic gutter screen.

Back