DIY screen top for a bowfront tank???

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you bend the frame?
I laid out 3" construction screws on a sheet of plywood the shape of the top. I used the canopy as a template. The first screw should be 2 screws spread apart the thickness of the screen frame. That's to hold it in place. Then using a heat gun to soften the metal, gently pull the frame material against the screws to make the shape. You have to take your time or the material will just fold up. Took me 2 sticks to get the hang of it.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you bend the frame?
I'm sorry, I thought I answered this already, but apparently not.

Layout the shape of the top you are making on a sheet of plywood. (I used the canopy) Then screw in 2-3" construction screws along the line of the layout. The first spot should have 2 screws spaced apart the width of the metal you are using +1/8" (that's to hold it into place) Place the metal into that slot you just made then start heating the first 6-10" or so of the metal with a heat gun set on high and gentle start pulling the metal towards the screws along the outline. Keep doing this until you get to the end. Do this slowly or you will bend the metal (it is thin aluminum). Once you have finished leave the piece in the jig for a couple of hours to let it settle into the new shape.

amcgee2842

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I thought I answered this already, but apparently not.

Layout the shape of the top you are making on a sheet of plywood. (I used the canopy) Then screw in 2-3" construction screws along the line of the layout. The first spot should have 2 screws spaced apart the width of the metal you are using +1/8" (that's to hold it into place) Place the metal into that slot you just made then start heating the first 6-10" or so of the metal with a heat gun set on high and gentle start pulling the metal towards the screws along the outline. Keep doing this until you get to the end. Do this slowly or you will bend the metal (it is thin aluminum). Once you have finished leave the piece in the jig for a couple of hours to let it settle into the new shape.

Thanks going to add this to my list of many things

Skinnerstead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I ran across this. Thanks for all the nice words :) We've done several for bow fronts pm if interested!
I'm needing a screen top for a 56 gallon corner bowfront aquarium. It will have frogs in it, they need lights and containment

bloodangelmaniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I was looking to do a diy glass top for my bow tank. Im not so handy how hard is it to do? I saw the glass tops for sale online and might go that route. google says petswarehouse has them for all the bow sizes. Im going probably give them a call. Do you guys like the screen over the glass?

Aline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I ran across this. Thanks for all the nice words :) We've done several for bow fronts pm if interested!
Hi, Got a 4ft Fluvial 360L bow front tank for my birthday last week, I'm having a nightmare trying to find a lid for it. It came with a DIY one but looks dodgy not putting it on my tank. I would fashion one myself but don't have all tools or the inclination anymore lol also have arthritis in wrists and elbow... anyway, can you help me out please? Aline (DIY enthusiastic woman)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back