IM Nuvo 15 screen/acrylic top DIY vs. buying vs. high end?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate the holiday :)

I have an IM Nuvo 15 that I'd like to buy or build a top/screen to keep fish/critters safely inside the tank. Please, what are my best options, with a strong consideration on value? I tend to be a budget reefer, and I don't really want to spend for the super-pricey acrylic versions (unless someone can convince me??).

I see BRS has some of their kits on sale, and I know that most to all of what I'd need to build my own screen top can be found at the orange big box store, but I don't actually know how to build a screen top for my tank :-(

What do you guys suggest for value and time spent? Would you suggest cobbling things together from scratch from a box hardware store, buying a DIY kit from BRS, or going whole Thanksgiving Day turkey-bird and getting one of the high-end acrylic options?

Thank you very much for your help!

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diy kit is pretty nice, but I've found the mesh that came with the NUVO to be too big, and have had fish jump through it in my 100g. I ended up changing out the mesh after I lost my wheeler goby to the smallest brs carries, and if I were to buy again, I might just go full brs kit if the metal pieces are of the same or similar quality to the IM which I like a lot. If not, I'd go IM and then purchase the mesh individually on BRS

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diy kit is pretty nice, but I've found the mesh that came with the NUVO to be too big, and have had fish jump through it in my 100g. I ended up changing out the mesh after I lost my wheeler goby to the smallest brs carries, and if I were to buy again, I might just go full brs kit if the metal pieces are of the same or similar quality to the IM which I like a lot. If not, I'd go IM and then purchase the mesh individually on BRS
Thank you for your reply. When you say DIY kit, do you mean BRS brand or IM brand?

I have an IM Nuvo 10 that came with a tip, and the screen is about 1/4"x1/4". I am pretty sure BRS sells this screen material, which I could use with any frame.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. When you say DIY kit, do you mean BRS brand or IM brand?

I have an IM Nuvo 10 that came with a tip, and the screen is about 1/4"x1/4". I am pretty sure BRS sells this screen material, which I could use with any frame.

Any other thoughts or ideas?
I meant pieces from BRS - at one point they had individual pieces to DIY a lid, but I haven't looked in a long while for those parts. The IM hardware is wonderful and doesn't add any bulk to the top of the aquarium - but I DEFINITELY recommend going with the smaller mesh from BRS if you plan to have any fish that are prone to jump. My wheeler goby cleared the tank and then about three feet even going through what normally comes on the IM lid.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant pieces from BRS - at one point they had individual pieces to DIY a lid, but I haven't looked in a long while for those parts. The IM hardware is wonderful and doesn't add any bulk to the top of the aquarium - but I DEFINITELY recommend going with the smaller mesh from BRS if you plan to have any fish that are prone to jump. My wheeler goby cleared the tank and then about three feet even going through what normally comes on the IM lid.
You now, because I am tight in the wallet, maybe I will order the IM frame kit and the BRS screen material. I think this would get me going, and in the future I could upgrade to one of the fancy acrylic tops if needed. WOuld you recommend this?

Thank you for your help!

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a screen framing from Lowe’s and it came with the connectors and I had extra screen and built my own. 15 or so bucks and was done in like 20-30 minutes

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a screen framing from Lowe’s and it came with the connectors and I had extra screen and built my own. 15 or so bucks and was done in like 20-30 minutes
OK, I have heard of this. Could you please link to the kit from Lowes? I'd like to compare that to a BRS frame kit.

Thank you very much!

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigger than you need but I also did another tank as well. Comes with the spline that holds the screen into the frame kit and the corner connectors as well

I got it on sale - just need to buy the type of screen you want (hole size, color, etc) and then maybe one of these:

Cool, thank for for the links, I will check them out!

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick pick of it

Attachments

• IMG_5667.jpeg
    IMG_5667.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick pick of it
^Nice work, looks great!

I'm noticing that BRS has the IM kit on sale for $23, so just about 5 bucks more than the Lowes kit you linked. I like the way the IM kit has corners that the screen frame sits on, so I'm leaning that way right now, but thank you very much for your help and suggestions!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya can’t beat that price at BRS. I may check that out as well now lol
LOL! I also like how the IM kit is black, and not bronze. Not a huge deal, but I think for a few extra bucks I'm going for the IM kit vs. the DIY option. Thank you again for your help!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you planning on stocking? If you arent getting a 1 " goby just get the stock lid ..small notches for cords just easier. You might be overthinkin it its like $23 on sale

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning on stocking? If you arent getting a 1 " goby just get the stock lid ..small notches for cords just easier. You might be overthinkin it its like $23 on sale
Yes, I saw it's on sale, and I'm ordering it now :) I'm not planning on keeping anything super small, but I know from experience that almost any fish can jump if startled, and they all bolt across, hit the glass, bounce straight up, and that's how they sneak out of the tiny gap between the screen and the glass.

PS, did you sell your FijiCube sump?

Thank you for your help!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No still have sump..tank..everything . Local reefing groups are dead. I have the 15 gallon and the lid is fine . I believe top lids makes a piece of acrylic or whatever material it is that closes the gap from backwall to the lid

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No still have sump..tank..everything . Local reefing groups are dead. I have the 15 gallon and the lid is fine . I believe top lids makes a piece of acrylic or whatever material it is that closes the gap from backwall to the lid
Man, I cannot believe no one has grabbed that sump yet. Best of luck with that for sure!

For $23 I'm going to start with the IM lid. I'm just getting going again, I have literally nothing for livestock but rock, sand, and a very modest CUC.

Is there a large gap between the IM frame and the glass of the IM 15 tank?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean theyd only be able to go over the back wall or if they really wanna die they could clear both i suppose. Anywhere else the gap doesnt really matter since well they would hit the screen

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Obv you could probably diy something to achieve same thing but you get the idea

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back